MOAST vs PLAYER

Help
Duncan
2013-08-25
2013-08-31
  • Duncan

Duncan - 2013-08-25

Hi,
    Question:1. For autonomous navigation which is better MOAST or PLAYER (simple maze problem)?
    Question:2. To incorporate a cognitive architecture(using BCI) into a robot which one you prefer MOAST or PLAYER?

I am new to USARSim any suggestion will be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

• Duncan

Duncan - 2013-08-31

Got it :-)

• Julio Vilela

Julio Vilela - 2013-08-31

Hi Duncan,
    I apologize for the late reply.

Short answer
    MOAST will not do the job for autonomous navigation. It does provide some higher level control of the robot but the autonomous routine will have to be developed by yourself. This is what i gather from the documentation (which is outdated)

I started using USARSim September 2012 and never got MOAST to work. You can find some of my forum entries regarding the installation and compilation of MOAST with UDK under Windows platform but unfortunately, I got nowhere.

As for PLAYER, I doubt it is still supported.

Long answer
    What I did, was ended up developing my own program form scratch. I implemented a fully autonomous exploration routine that supported multiple robots, and it included a GUI. There are two things you need to know to implement your own program:
    1) TCP/IP sockets. You must known how to implement a client/server program, in any language you like.
    2) Read over the communication protocol of USARSim found in the main manual. Understand the commands (ex. Drive Left {x} Right {y}) and how USARSim returns the sensor data, etc.

Once you implement the TCP/IP socket and follow the USARSim communication protocol, you should be good to go, and implement anything you want. I warn you ahead of time that this is A LOT OF WORK. Be prepared for many hours of development.

I have found however, that implementing your own program that you will understand will take less development time than trying to get MOAST and all this outdated packages running. It seems MOAST runs better in Linux and is easier to get working. All my experience was in Windows 7.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks