Menu

Non-SpeedLoader MMC Writers !

Help
2001-12-10
2013-02-21
  • Leroy LaFrance

Leroy LaFrance - 2001-12-10

There are firmware differences between the Zio and a SpeedLoader! This is because of the MiniJam's Proprietary file format. Unless you have thoroughly tested this software on a MJFAT card in a Zio or other MMC writer, please remove the misleading information in the description.

Now that I've come down on you, I have to say this! FINALLY A LINUX PORT !!!!

• Bob McElrath

Bob McElrath - 2001-12-10

Ummm...what?

I have tested it with the SanDisk device.  Due to the way the usb-storage driver (in the kernel) abstracts the device as a SCSI block device, it should work with any MMC reader/writer.  The filesystem on the MMC is irrelevant.  It will be the same no matter what reader/writer you have because that's what the MiniJam reads.

• Leroy LaFrance

Leroy LaFrance - 2002-01-08

If you tested it and it works, that's good enough for me ! And it's even better news for our customers. Too bad those other devices won't work in Windoze too.

Anyway, that's enough negitivity for me. You have a great product and our customers with Linux LOVE it ! Keep up the good work !

I do have one move question for you...
        Would it be possible for you to compile this as a OS X executable / installable for our Mac OS X customers. (Based on the fact that OS X is just a fancy version of BSD).

• Charles R. Hunter

OK... I got the source to compile under FreeBSD.
          The port is absolutely trivial. All of it was
          #ifdef-ing  silly linux specific code.

( like #include<linux/errono.h> or #include<scsi.h> )

naughty naughty. ;)

I'll submit my patches soon... time to get some sleep.

Charles

• Leroy LaFrance

Leroy LaFrance - 2002-01-08

I am InnoGear's Director of Tech Support. The MiniJam Does not use a standard DOSFAT format. Unless the Writer has firmware to support the MJFAT format It will not work. The device will think the MMC needs formatting.

• Charles R. Hunter

Hello, I just joined the group
      and had a cursory look at the source.

I'm certain it could be ported to  FreeBSD
      ( and naturally a Mac OSX version to follow).

Shoot I'll volunteer to work on the BSD version.

I do think, however that we should try and get
      the filesystem mountable. These tools are great
      but Mac and Windows users will want something
      more seemless.

Charles

P.S. I'm in this for myself too since I have an (officially ) unsupported MMC reader :)

• Lucius Kwok

Lucius Kwok - 2002-10-20

In regard to making a Mac OS X version, the problem is that Mac OS X doesn't use the normal BSD device abstraction, e.g. "Everything is a file." Instead, it has the IOKit and you would have to write a kernal extension to interface with the USB device. It's not impossible to write a Mac OS X version, it's just not a simple port.

• truenorth

truenorth - 2004-12-16

OK, not just a simple port, but still possible, no? Anyone care to bring this back to life?