From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com] On Behalf Of WILLIAM BRUGGEMEIER
Sent: Saturday, 2 November 2002 5:32 p.m.
Subject: [misterhouse-users] Feedback and direction on a commercial port of MisterHouse
Misterhouse Support forum:
Iam an avid Misterhouse user, a huge Open Source fan, and admitted longtime Misterhouse support mailinglist lurker.
I have been working for the last few months on getting a major Home Networking products manufacturer to launch a consumer focused Connected Home products program available through retail channels. The Home Networking marketplace has been exploding for the last 2 years but has given the average home user nothing more than shared Internet access. I have setup Misterhouse for many of my friends and they have enjoyed the Internet data collection, Intranet management and networked MP3.playback immensely.
This manufacturer will be developing pre-packaged engineered kits that will offer a single specific Integration feature (e.g. PC Telephony integration, PC to TV integration, PC IR control of home stereo) The glue that will integrate all of the disparate kits will be a Misterhouse based product. I am very close to getting the manufacturer to fund the needed improvements to make Misterhouse a mainstream consumer product.
The Initial step will be to focus on making Misterhouse easier to use from a UI standpoint:
7 Formalized directory structure
7 Easier setup
7 Intranet templates (Skins)
Added features to the program will be (from other Open Source Initiatives)
- A complete web based workgroup feature
- Enhanced contact and schedule importing (Outlook, Act, Windows Address book)
- A complete full featured email server with web mail client
- Strong network management and remote diagnostics features
- Adding Tight VNC, NetSNMP, and other Open Source Initiatives
- Security enhancements
- A Time Server with auto setup of clients
- Some commercial programs might be added but will only improve already available features (e.g. adding the AT&T voice package)
The base package described above will ship with all the manufacturers routers (around 3,000 new Misterhouse users a month).
I am announcing this a little early (the deal could still fall through) because, I want to leverage the immense talent of the Misterhouse user community. I need your help and direction.-+*
- How should this effort move forward?
- Should it be a separate Open Source Initiative?
- If Yes, how does the code base stay in synch?
- Would anyone be interested in programming these changes above? (paid of course)
- Most of the features listed above were culled from user requests posted on the mailing list, however, are there other feature requests? (keep it simple no ai requests just yet J
- With commercial sponsorship could come better support options What would you like to see? (Have you seen the HomeSeer message board?)
- The software portion of the project will be driven by your feedback to the above questions, however, your input on stable retail available hardware would be priceless, who is interested in joining a hardware/software beta group?
(707) 248-0032 - fax