Neverending scan?

Help
2010-10-28
2013-05-29
  • Gabor Bognar

Gabor Bognar - 2010-10-28

Hi,
    I installed minidlna to my DNS-313 via ipkg. I edited the config file, and started the server please see below. My clients see the server on the network but couldn't play anything from it. So i took a closer look and tried to run with rescan. And it can be seen, ti starts the scanning for my music folder…. and stucks there.

# minidlna -d -f /ffp/etc/minidlna.conf -P /ffp/var/run/minidlna.pid -R
    minidlna.c:720: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.18 .
    minidlna.c:743: warn: Creating new database…
    minidlna.c:808: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    minissdp.c:306: debug: Sending SSDP notifies
    scanner.c:724: warn: Scanning /Share/Music

I checked the running server process with strace, but couldn't found out what's that timeout….

poll(, 1, 2000)  = 0 (Timeout)
    getppid()                               = 13702
    getppid()                               = 13702

Ideas? Unfortunately i can't compile the code to myself at the moment, but i'm not sure taht could fix my issue. There is something else in the background i haven't noticed and block the 'scan'.

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2010-10-28

I think that's just the main process waiting for an incoming network connection.  Try starting minidlna with the -d argument, so you can figure out how far the scanner gets, and if any additional errors pop up.

• Justin Maggard

Never mind, looks like you did that.  So perhaps the scanner process has died on a file in the /Share/Music directory.  How many files are in there?

• Gabor Bognar

well, there are around 10 mp3s only at the moment. In the meantime i tried with my Movies folder (~100GB) but I could see only a couple of files in my client after a while… and can't see more. It seems the scanning is just way too slow or simply dies after a while without any warning/error in the logs.
    any way to debug more? actually the shares are mounted via Samba under /Share if it does matter.

• Justin Maggard

CIFS mounts shouldn't matter for scanning, but it certainly does matter for sending data to clients.  Sendfile doesn't work on some versions of cifs.  Scanning is done by a forked minidlna process, so it would be better to attach strace to that process once it starts.  It's gonna be very hard to debug if you can't compile though.

• Gabor Bognar

yeah i know.. i have to create my own "compile world" to cross compile stuff for my NAS, i'm working on it.
    how to capture that forked scanning process? as i see there are more than one minidlna running in the background, not sure which one i need to strace to be honest.

• Justin Maggard

It should be the child with the lowest PID.  Try starting with a "-i lo" argument, to prevent network connections from affecting the output.

• Gabor Bognar

hmm  -i lo is for minidlna? can't see such option, however it takes it without any problem. actually, how long should minidlna scanning take if i have let say 10 or 1000 mp3 files?

• Justin Maggard

On slow hardware, I usually see it process about 2-3 MP3 files per second.  The -i argument specifies which network interface to bind to.

• Gabor Bognar

Gabor Bognar - 2010-10-29

okay this is wrong then. the scan should be fast even on this little NAS. i'm trying to get my own compilation done

• Gabor Bognar

Gabor Bognar - 2010-10-31

after compiling my own version, everything looks fine. thanks :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks