basic help ....newbie

• Kasper Behrmann

Kasper Behrmann - 2009-06-06

sorry for the basic questions, but Im absolutely new to linux.

Ive managed to get and make minidlna, how do I actually run the program?

• Stedy

Stedy - 2009-06-07

./minidlna [-f config_file] [-i ext_ifname] [-o ext_ip]
              [-a listening_ip] [-p port] [-d] [-L] [-U] [-S]
              [-s serial] [-m model_number]
              [-t notify_interval] [-P pid_filename]
              [-B down up] [-w url]

Type: ./minidlna -f minidlna.conf  -d 
      the -d  is helpful when debuging, if you don't use the -d option minidlna would run in background as a daemon.

• Kasper Behrmann

Kasper Behrmann - 2009-06-07

thanks, now my tv and minidlna are communicating, but I cannot seem to get minidlna to serve other than for directories to the client, even though I setup some folders containing .mp3's and avi files in minidlna.conf:

all minidlna sends back is 4 folders:

[2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnphttp.c:103: debug: Client found in cache. [type 100/entry 0]
      [2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnphttp.c:519: debug: SOAPAction: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse
      [2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnpsoap.c:1268: debug: SoapMethod: Browse
      [2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnpsoap.c:867: debug: Browsing ContentDirectory:
      * ObjectID: 0
      * Count: 10
      * StartingIndex: 0
      * BrowseFlag: BrowseDirectChildren
      * Filter: dc:title,av:mediaClass,dc:date,@childCount,res,upnp:class,res@resolution,upnp:album,upnp:genre,upnp:albumArtURI,upnp:albumArtURI@dlna:profileID,dc:creator,res@size,res@duration,res@bitrate,res@protocolInfo
      * SortCriteria: -dc:date
      [2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnpsoap.c:903: debug: Browse SQL: SELECT o.OBJECT_ID, o.PARENT_ID, o.REF_ID, o.DETAIL_ID, o.CLASS, d.SIZE, d.TITLE, d.DURATION, d.BITRATE, d.SAMPLERATE, d.ARTIST, d.ALBUM, d.GENRE, d.COMMENT, d.CHANNELS, d.TRACK, d.DATE, d.RESOLUTION, d.THUMBNAIL, d.CREATOR, d.DLNA_PN, d.MIME, d.ALBUM_ART from OBJECTS o left join DETAILS d on (d.ID = o.DETAIL_ID) where PARENT_ID = '0' order by d.DATE DESC, TITLE ASC limit 0, 10;
      [2009/06/07 14:37:40] upnphttp.c:964: debug: HTTP RESPONSE: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
      Connection: close
      Content-Length: 1356
      Server: Ubuntu/9.04 DLNADOC/1.50 UPnP/1.0 MiniDLNA/1.0

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <s:Envelope xmlns:s="" s:encodingStyle=""><s:Body><u:BrowseResponse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"><Result>&lt;DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"&gt;
      &lt;container id="64" parentID="0" restricted="1" childCount="0"&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;Browse Folders&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.container.storageFolder&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;/container&gt;&lt;container id="1" parentID="0" restricted="1" childCount="5"&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;Music&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.container.storageFolder&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;/container&gt;&lt;container id="3" parentID="0" restricted="1" childCount="4"&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;Pictures&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.container.storageFolder&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;/container&gt;&lt;container id="2" parentID="0" restricted="1" childCount="2"&gt;&lt;dc:title&gt;Video&lt;/dc:title&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.container.storageFolder&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;/container&gt;&lt;/DIDL-Lite&gt;</Result>

can anyone help?

• Kasper Behrmann

Kasper Behrmann - 2009-06-07

i did restart minidlna after changing the minidlna.conf file, but added the files afterwards.

minidlna.conf says something about inotify. i have no idea what that is or if the VMWare Virtualized Ubuntu 9.x I'm running minidlna from supports this.

any help is appreciated.

• Stedy

Stedy - 2009-06-08

inotify is a system to detect changes in the filesystem. For exsample minidlna would detect if you add a new mp3 to one of the directories you have in the config file,.

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-06-08

To force a full rescan, stop minidlna, delete your database directory (by default this would be /tmp/minidlna), and start minidlna again.

• Kasper Behrmann

Kasper Behrmann - 2009-06-09

My Sony Bravia W5500 is now happily receiving video, pictures and music from minidlna :-)

I'm a very happy camper(or i will be when I figure out how to run this from startup of the linux os, but I think I can google my way out of that obstacle).

Next project will be to get minidlna to run on my Synology NAS box...

Thanks again for a great piece of software Justin. Keep up the good work

• Austin David France

Out of interest, what type of video did you manage to get running on your W5500 ?  

I can't get mine to recognise anything.  It shows all the folders, just when selecting a folder with videos in it, I just see "There are no items to display".  I can see lots of videos via minidlna with the PS3 however, and if I run the SQLs on the database I see records returned.

I am guessing the W5500 is being very picky as to what video format it will support.

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2009-07-06

There's a few threads on here dealing with this. 
      You are correct that the W5500s do not support many video encoding formats.  They basically support the recording formats of all Sony digital camcorders.

They support MPEG2 PS files (the format used by their SD camcorders).  I rip my DVDs using AcidRip set to use .mpeg extension and to copy the video and audio without conversion.  This makes for files of approx 5GB per film, but I figure the less compression the better, and storage prices aren't too bad these days.  Also, the TV supports Dolby Digital Surround (5.1) in the AC3 format it's stored in on a DVD, so you get surround if you use the TVs optical out to a suitable amp.
      I also transcoded a H264 encoded film in 720p the other day, and this worked fine.

The TVs also supposedly support AVCHD (i.e. the format of Sony HD camcorders).  I have not had any success re-encoding anything to this format, and I don't have a HD camcorder to try it, so I can't guarantee this.

• ha thuy tran

ha thuy tran - 2009-07-07

may i know the format of minidlna.conf file? specially for media_dir declaration part. My media_dia is like:
      but anytime i run minidlna with this config, it returns Segmentation Fault. If i frame out these lines, it run normally.

What could be a problem here?

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-07-07

Are you able to run it through gdb to get a backtrace of where the segfault is happening?

• ha thuy tran

it fails in minidlna.c, function init, in case UPNPMEDIADIR when ary_options[i].value is called. I guess this ary_options[i].value is empty, which cause segmentation fault.

Checking options.c now

• ha thuy tran

hi ya

i identified the source of the problem, it's the line "path = realpath(myval ? myval:ary_options[i].value, NULL);"

i dont know why but it cause segmentation fault for me, and path always return NULL

now my minidlna and dlna device are successfully connected, but device cant access any content of minidlna, cant even view the content of server.

What should i do next?

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-07-09

Maybe your C library doesn't support allocating memory itself for the realpath() function.  Please try doing a CVS update and rebuilding.  MiniDLNA will now fall back to just accepting the config file entry as-is in the case where realpath() fails.

• ha thuy tran

4got to mention, my client is iMediaSuite, played on Ipod Touch

• ha thuy tran

When i test with MediaLinkPlayer Lite, it says "Not able to receive content list. Please check the server settings."

What should be the "setting" here?

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2009-07-09

I think it means the settings that you used to run the server rather than anything on the client.  Presumably the client finds the server from its multicast broadcast.

• ha thuy tran

ha thuy tran - 2009-07-10

jmaggard, i did as u said, it turns out that only music files can be seen and played on the client, images does not loaded to files.db, and if i add video files, minidlna crash with Segmentation fault. Howver, i hv dig into this Segmentation fault yet, so not sure what reason cause this problem.

But music files played on client is still hving problem. It could not load the whole song, and all songs results in "error loading file"

-.-" monday start to investigate it again :) now it's time for relax :)

• ha thuy tran

ha thuy tran - 2009-07-15

jmaggard, i found the problem which causes picture to not be visible.

in file metadaba.c, in function GetImageMetadata,

sql = sqlite3_mprintf(  "INSERT into DETAILS"
                                      " (PATH, TITLE, SIZE, DATE, RESOLUTION, THUMBNAIL, CREATOR, DLNA_PN, MIME) "
                                      " (%Q, '%q', %llu, %Q, %Q, %d, %Q, %Q, %Q);",
                                      path, name, size, date, m.resolution, thumb, cam, m.dlna_pn, m.mime);

format type "%llu" for size is the source of this problem. After i change it to "%d", the problem is gone.

but dont ask me how this could be. I have no idea -.-"

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-07-15

That's great!  Can you try with "%jd" instead and see if this fixes your problem?

• ha thuy tran

ha thuy tran - 2009-07-16

thanks ya ^^ it was really helpful ^^