I have MiniDLNA running on my CentOS 6 machine. So far it's been great, thanks to the team for such a great project.
I created .pls playlist files in rhythmbox and saved them in a folder inside my home folder that minidlna has access to (/home/me/music/playlists) whereas most of the ../music folder has my actual music files in it (organized by artist then album then track) the playlist folder lists about 10 playlists in .pls format.
When I access the server from a client (I've tried from 2 different clients thus far) and look for playlists, the playlists are all listed. But when I open the playlist hardly any tracks show up. I'm having trouble seeing any relationships between the tracks that happen to show up versus the ones that don't show up. All music files are in /music but other than that, why some show up and some don't perplex me. The music files themselves do show up if I manually search for them (under artist or wherever else) but the playlist itself doesn't show the files despite the playlist file directing info to get to the songs (if I open the playlist in a text editor, for example).
Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be putting my playlist folder in a separate directory and have minidlna scan it separately? Should I use another format other than pls?
I'll be happy to provide more details too. Thanks in advance!
It's difficult to diagnose without much context…
My playlists are all in M3U format, rather than pls.
It may be that the locations that Rhythmbox is using are different for different tracks/folders, and this is ending up in your .pls file and minidlna is unable to resolve them. I've seen some pretty messed up paths in playlists.
e.g. ../../music/ or ../../music/../music/ or /home/user/music/
This can happen when you've got to a location via a symbolic link.
If all music files are in the same base folder. ensure that all paths are the same format in the playlist. I generally use a text editor to tidy them up as I want the same relative locations to work on multiple devices, be they locally accessed or rsynced copies on my server accessed via DLNA, SMB or NFS.
My playlists are in a 'Playlists' folder in the root of my 'Music 'folder, accessing music located in the tree one hop up, then down into the MP3 folder.
| |-Arctic Monkeys
Here is a sample from a playlist…
#EXTINF:213,Anthrax - Attack of the Killer B's - Bring the Noise
..\MP3\Anthrax\Attack of the Killer B's\02_Bring the Noise.mp3
#EXTINF:173,Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
..\MP3\Arctic Monkeys\Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not\02 - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor.mp3
#EXTINF:204,Ash - Meltdown - Meltdown
..\MP3\Ash\Meltdown\01 - Meltdown.mp3
Hope that this is helpful.
Hey Craig thanks for the response and the detailed help. Switching to m3u files actually fixed them all, both my playstation and my windows machines see all and play all the tunes in the playlists as intended. I'm not sure what the issue was with the .pls files. It could be that the .pls file lists the location from the root ("\\\home\me\music\artist\tune.mp3-ogg-aac" etc) though the server itself only has access to the \music folder and everything below that. As far as I know there aren't any other symbolic links, I don't have any playlists listed in an external hard drive that's linked to the \home folder or elsewhere.
No matter, it's working now. Thanks again for the help,
You're welcome :-)
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.