Menu

Samsung AU9000 wrong audio track.

Help
paul
2023-07-24
2023-07-25
  • paul

paul - 2023-07-24

Sorry to be a bit vague but I've only just noticed this problem so haven't had any time to investigate it yet.

I've been using Minidlna/ReadyMedia with Samsung TVs since forever (~at least 10 years) and I've just realised that my current Samsung TV (an AU9000) is behaving a bit weird with regards to audio - not offering me an audio language choice despite multiple tracks in the video file and playing a non-default track (e.g. commentary, ignoring the main audio track).

At first I thought it might be a regression in 1.3.3 (I'm setting up a new server which will live at a remote site, and there are a few patches that I want to integrate - mainly the thumbnail generation) - but it seems that the problem also shows up with my older server which is running 1.2.1

I'm pretty certain that this was not a problem with previous Samsungs which have included a KU6400, a UE48H6400 and a UE40MU6400 - I actually still have all of those sets but they are in varying degrees of "not easily accessed"; I can probably dig the UE40MU6400 with a bit of fiddling and will have access to the UE40MU6400 and the KU6400 at the beginning of September.

As yet I'm not sure if this is a question of my current TV having dropped some audio codecs, some issues with the container format (mostly my media library is .mkv) or something else. I'll try to narrow it down when I have time.

The problem is not reproducible with VLC as the client.

Has anyone else had problems with recent (ish) Samsung TV's?

• paul

paul - 2023-07-25

Partly answering my own question this seems to be a codec support issue for the newer TV - re-encoding the file with AC3 audio instead of DTS "fixes" the problem. Will explore a bit further but it looks like I might be doing some bulk re-encoding of my video library.

Edit: Ah, yes, I see Samsung removed DTS support in 2018 :(

Last edit: paul 2023-07-25