Menu

Lots and lots of thumnails

2018-02-27
2018-04-12
  • Fanzl Burger

Fanzl Burger - 2018-02-27

I dont see any need to store a thimnail for each song of a CD. I have got a (really) big collection of music, this blows up my cahce, so I cant store it on my Rasperrypi. Albeit the minidlna is mini, the cache is big. No good idea in my opinion. An option to store only one thumbnail for each CD would be very nice, because I (mostly) have a cover.jpg file in each CD folder.

• Fanzl Burger

Fanzl Burger - 2018-02-27

-thimnail +thumbnail file

• Fanzl Burger

Fanzl Burger - 2018-02-28

It took 12h only from Artist A to C. C is not yet finished, and its already 256MB thumbnail data. What a pitty, possibly 80% redundance.

• Shrimpkin

Shrimpkin - 2018-03-10

Embedded album art is greater than external album art. Make sure your files do not have embedded album art and minidlna will create one thumbnail per external album art found.

Another option is to change your db_dir to a location with more space.

• Fanzl Burger

Fanzl Burger - 2018-03-16

Thank you for your answer. Although I dont find it usefull.
    I already have embedded albumart. Harddisks are very inexpensive today. The storage the mp3 files take is not an issue. Time is an issue and the resources (energy).
    It took 4 days for minidlna scratching on my harddisk to write 100 000 thumbnails , resulting in 1.35GB thumbnail data.
    For shure I mounted a db_dir location via Samba. But I would prefer to avoid creating any thumbnail file. Creating thumbnails should be a flag somewhere in the configuration file, like db_dir location.

• Shrimpkin

Shrimpkin - 2018-03-17

You only mention the amount of thumbnails in OP. Nothing about time, energy, and the need for a config option.

write 100 000 thumbnails , resulting in 1.35GB thumbnail data.

For db_dir, use a filesystem that supports hard links. Don't use Samba. As long as the album art is the same across all songs, on scan minidlna will create one cached thumbnail and create hard links for the others.

But I would prefer to avoid creating any thumbnail file. Creating thumbnails should be a flag somewhere in the configuration file, like db_dir location.

Prevent thumbnail creation in find_album_art:
      https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/git/ci/master/tree/albumart.c#l352
      Prevent scanning for embedded art in music files in tagutils:
      https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/git/ci/master/tree/tagutils/

Have at it.

• Fanzl Burger

Fanzl Burger - 2018-04-12

Thank you for your competent answers and showing the code. Unfortunately I dont have a compiler on my raspbian.
    Maybe I will investigate in cross compiling minidlna on a more powerfull machine.
    Thanks again!