minidlna not sending subtitles

• Cristian

Cristian - 2014-04-28

Hi, I have running minidlna 1.0.25 on dd-wrt (tp-link wdr3600). The server works fine but the subtitles.

I put minidlna in debug mode and saw that it does not sending res tag with subtitles. Example for an item sent in ContentDirectory:

<item id="64$D" parentID="64" restricted="1"><dc:title>prisioneros</dc:title><upnp:class>object.item.videoItem</upnp:class><dc:date>2014-01-04T16:45:40</dc:date><res size="1035200643" duration="2:33:12.426" bitrate="112614" sampleFrequency="48000" nrAudioChannels="2" resolution="1280x720" protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mp4:DLNA.ORG_PN=AVC_MP4_HP_HD_AAC;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_

This file, "prisioneros.mp4" has a "" on the same folder. I tried with an avi file, and it is the same.
    Why minidlna is not sending the subtitle res?
    I tried with many clients, and did not have good luck

How can I compile/ install last minidlna version on dd-wrt? I did it with opkg but openwrt only has 1.0.25.

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2014-04-28

Only certain clients support external subtitles. What client are you using?

• Cristian

Cristian - 2014-04-29

Hi Justin, I use my Philips Tv. It supports external subtitles in USB, and using serviio as dlna server. I tried with windows media player (win 7) too

How does minidlna work? It only send the subtitles depending of the client? Or It must ever send the subtitles regardless the client? (and then, only if the client supports the subs, it shows them)

PD: sorry for my english

• Darkvater

Darkvater - 2014-05-04

Since subtitles are not in the default DLNA specs, every manufacturer has implemented it in their own way. Minidlna sends the subs for LG, O!Play, BubbleUPNP, Samsung as far as I've seen. If you figure out which type Philips is using (CaptionInfoEx, or through protocolInfo), I'm sure Justin can add support for it. The fact that serviio supports it doesn't say anything as it is probably doing remuxing on the fly which means the subs are "burned" into the stream - something minidlna does not do.

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2014-05-07

I believe Philips has it implemented the same as LG, Asus, and Bubble. If you can provide a unique User-Agent substring to use for Philips, I should be able to add support for it as well.

• Cristian

Cristian - 2014-05-07

Hi Justin, this is the user-agent I found with minidlna debug

USER-AGENT: IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50

Thanks a lot for your time

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks