minidlna on ARM + Toshiba TV

2013-01-21
2013-05-29
  • Bálint Takács

Bálint Takács - 2013-01-21

I have installed minidlna on arch linux ARM with a Pogoplug device.

The minidlna server works perfectly when the Pogo is accessed from the desktop Win 7 on Windows Media Player.

Similarly, my Toshiba Regza 42VL863B also works perfectly with the Win 7 DLNA server, running on my desktop.

However, when I try to use the Pogo server running minidlna from the TV, it does not work.

The TV is aware the device, displays the folders correctly, and allows navigating on the DLNA server. But whenever I am trying to start playing a file and press the 'OK' button on the remote, the TV shows "Media playback error". It is immediate, without waiting time.

I have raised log levels to "debug" in the minidlna config file for the categories general, http, metadata, ssdp. The folder requests do appear in the log, but no entries appearing when I press play on the TV. I have also tried to enable strict_dlna, change the port and the presentation URL.

Any idea on this? It looks like some network problem, but no complaints in the log, and AFAIK I have no firewall on the Pogo. Does the streaming use a different network port / protocol?

Thank you!

• Bálint Takács

One more: it is not a format problem, as the same files streamed from the desktop play perfectly on the TV.

• Bálint Takács

One more: the total time entry in the list is all-zero. For Win7, they show the proper amount. The logs show that the total time info is sent to the TV.

The TV's user agent seems to be:

USER-AGENT: UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50 Intel_SDK_for_UPnP_devices/1.2

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2013-01-21

That's an odd user agent.  It looks like the U/A for upnp-inspector.

When you say that it's not a format issue as they work when streamed from the desktop, it's worth saying that Media Centre does transcode files (which an unpatched minidlna does not), so it's possibly not a valid comparison.

According to the manual for your TV, much like TVs from other manufacturers, the support for files via DLNA is limited compared to USB…

For audio, only MP3 and LPCM are accepted.
    For video:
    MPEG2 PS or TS (.mpg, .mpeg or .ts  with MPEG2 or H264 video and AC3, MP1, MP2 or LPCM audio)
    AVCHD (.mts or .m2ts with H264 video and AC3 audio)
    MPEG4 (.mp4 or .m4v with H264 video and AC3 audio)

See p88 of the manual: http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/upload/BrochuresAndManuals/Manuals/VL863-4247-Engligh-Specific.pdf

What is the format of the files that you are trying to play?

/Craig

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2013-01-21

Sorry, for MP4 that should be AAC audio, not AC3.

• hiero

hiero - 2013-01-21

Win 7 DLNA server has transcoding capability.
    You might watch transcoded stream from Win7.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks