Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

Album art resizing to 160x160, why?

Anonymous
2010-07-31
2013-05-29
  • Anonymous - 2010-07-31

I started using minidlna (aka ReadyDLNA) on my ReadyNAS NV+ and I'm very happy with it.
    Thanks to all the developers!

My only complaint is that minidlna keeps (and serves) a scaled down copy of my album art covers in the cache… why?
    I found that the cached jpeg is 160x160; even on an iPhone (3GS not even a "retina display" ;-) ) the scaled down image looks pretty ugly…

I have 500x500 art covers; wouldn't it be possible to choose the max width/height  in the minidlna.conf, at least?

Thank you!

Paolo

• Craig Chambers

Craig Chambers - 2010-08-01

I'm not certain on this, but I think that Justin has discussed something similar previously and the DLNA spec mandates maximum dimensions for album art that are quite small.   To size them larger would break DLNA compliance.
    Just thought I'd add this as a quick response.

/Craig

• Anonymous - 2010-08-01

Craig, thank you. I wasn't aware of such a limitation.
    Actually, I only know a few things about UPnP/DLNA.

I googled a bit after reading your answer and I found this suggestion addressed to the developers of the DLNA server that is installed on Synology NAS Servers:

* upnp:albumArtURI has a dlna:profileID attribute and can be a multiple object. The only currently reported album art for music objects is a JPEG_TN (thumbnail). To support higher resolution media renderers and full screen display of album art, if the available image makes it possible, please also return a JPEG_SM quality albumArtURI.

I hardly know what I'm talking about, but I would add "JPEG_MED" as well (1024x768 max).

the full thread is here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21443

Please feel free to ignore this message if I'm totally misrepresenting the issue.

Paolo

• Ben Vassie

Ben Vassie - 2011-12-13

I would really like to have the option to disable the resizing of album art