#85 Problem opening "Folder"

open
None
1
2011-09-08
2011-09-04
Michael
No

Hi,
I don't know wich product is buggy, but I think it has worked with previous versions of minidlna, so I'll report it here. With the newest version from cvs the following happens when I try to browse the "Folder" directory under my "Music" with the Totem DLNA plugin. Totem displays "loading" but never updates after that, the minidlna log does not show more than included below. Browsing other folders works, browsing this specific browser from a Philips TV set or SoftMedia Player on Android also works.
In the minidlna log it shows that the TV and SoftMedia Player send values > 0 for Count instead of -1 from Totem. But then again, other folders work with -1...
So I really do not know who's to blame...

[2011/09/04 12:41:09] minidlna.c:1204: debug: HTTP connection from 192.168.2.129:57661
[2011/09/04 12:41:09] upnphttp.c:807: debug: HTTP REQUEST: POST /ctl/ContentDir HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.2.133
User-Agent: Twisted PageGetter
Content-Length: 447
SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse"
content-type: text/xml ;charset="utf-8"
connection: close

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><s:Envelope s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><s:Body><ns0:Browse xmlns:ns0="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"><ObjectID>1$14</ObjectID><BrowseFlag>BrowseDirectChildren</BrowseFlag><Filter>*</Filter><StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex><RequestedCount>0</RequestedCount><SortCriteria /></ns0:Browse></s:Body></s:Envelope>
[2011/09/04 12:41:09] upnphttp.c:650: debug: SOAPAction: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse
[2011/09/04 12:41:09] upnpsoap.c:1547: debug: SoapMethod: Browse
[2011/09/04 12:41:09] upnpsoap.c:1075: debug: Browsing ContentDirectory:
* ObjectID: 1$14
* Count: -1
* StartingIndex: 0
* BrowseFlag: BrowseDirectChildren
* Filter: *
* SortCriteria: (null)
[2011/09/04 12:41:09] upnpsoap.c:1145: debug: Browse SQL: SELECT o.OBJECT_ID, o.PARENT_ID, o.REF_ID, o.DETAIL_ID, o.CLASS, d.SIZE, d.TITLE, d.DURATION, d.BITRATE, d.SAMPLERATE, d.ARTIST, d.ALBUM, d.GENRE, d.COMMENT, d.CHANNELS, d.TRACK, d.DATE, d.RESOLUTION, d.THUMBNAIL, d.CREATOR, d.DLNA_PN, d.MIME, d.ALBUM_ART, d.DISC from OBJECTS o left join DETAILS d on (d.ID = o.DETAIL_ID) where PARENT_ID = '1$14' limit 0, -1;

Discussion

  • Michael

    Michael - 2011-09-04

    This should be in the "Bugs" section. My fault, sorry...

     
  • Justin Maggard

    Justin Maggard - 2011-09-07
    • assigned_to: nobody --> jmaggard
     
  • Justin Maggard

    Justin Maggard - 2011-09-07

    I can't reproduce the issue. Are there any special characters in any of your folder names? Can you get into the "Browse Folders" area?

     
  • Michael

    Michael - 2011-09-08
    • priority: 5 --> 1
     
  • Michael

    Michael - 2011-09-08

    Hi, yes, I completely understand that you cannot reproduce this. The behaviour probably only occurs with my media and the totem DLNA plugin.

    With totem, I can browse to <Servername> -> Music and when I try to open "Folders", nothing happens. I also cannot open <Servername> -> "Browse Folders", totem also hangs.

    I have now tried VLC 1.11 on Ubuntu. Except that it takes ages until the server tree is ready to browse (this plugin tries to download the complete server contents before starting, bad idea...), VLC also displays the folders (just as Softmedia Player/Android and my Philips TV).

    So I strongly suspect the underlying problem in the totem plugin.

    And very probably it is connected with "special" characters in file names. If I remember correctly the problem occurred roughly at the same time you fixed the support single quotes in file names (thanks for that, by the way). So maybe totem cannot handle these.

    Please treat this report with a low priority. When I find the time I will try debugging with a very small media directory that contains quotes etc. in file names.

    Maybe, as an option, one could add a "safe" mode that converts everything but [-0-9a-zA-Z_] to "_" or so... (VERY low priority...)
    Best regards,
    Michael

     
  • Michael

    Michael - 2011-09-10

    I tested with a very small media library on a different server. Hmm. It turns out that special characters in file names are not the problem. I have one file "teöst'huähu'bla.$.mp3" which does not seem present any problems.
    But I could reproduce the problem. I occurs when a directory contain 8 bit ISO-8869 characters.
    I created a tree like
    $ find .
    .
    ./03 - Part II b.mp3
    ./Umläut
    ./Umläut/normal.mp3
    ./04 - Part II c.mp3
    ./pl.m3u
    ./01 - Part I.mp3

    This hangs totem when trying to browse folders.
    It works on SoftMedia Player/Android, except that the 8 bit character is not displayed correctly, see my other report on this topic.
    So I assume if the problem with ISO-8859 characters in file/directory names is fixed, this problem will also be fixed.
    Best regards,
    Michael

     

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks