#212 MiniDLNA fails to support devices which require RegisterDevice

v1.0 (example)

Running MiniDLNA 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 13.04 AMD64 (also an older version on Raspbian/ARM6). Trying to connect an older media streamer (Netgear MP101) to the system.

Connect MP101 to network, boot up.
Select "MiniDLNA Media Server" from the list.

Expected Result:
MP101 connects to MiniDLNA, lists my music.

Actual Result:
MP101 responds "Cannot connect to server."

Apparent Reason:
The MP101 sends a SOAPACTION: "urn:microsoft.com:service:X_MS_MediaReceiverRegistrar:1#RegisterDevice" request to MiniDLNA. MiniDLNA doesn't appear to like that, and sends back a UPnPError 401: Invalid Action and an HTTP 500: Internal Server Error.

Connecting to MiniDLNA with a device that does not send an X_MS_MediaReceiverRegistrar registration request - a Nexus 4 running UPnPlay - connects fine, and shows no such errors in the logs.

Debug log attached.

1 Attachments


  • Gareth Halfacree

    Post awaiting moderation.
  • timaba

    timaba - 2014-05-29

    I know this post is over half a year old. But I read on Twitter you solved this little problem ( https://twitter.com/ghalfacree/status/383592010633863169 ). As I use an old mp101 with miniDLNA too, I would kindly ask you to share your knowledge about this.

  • Gareth Halfacree

    I went into the codebase and ripped out anything that smelt like it offered X_MS_MediaReceiverRegistrar support. It worked, but it wasn't pretty - and then I ran into a different bug that caused any MP3s with embedded lyric frames to crash the MP101. Then I gave up. Sorry!

  • Justin Maggard

    Justin Maggard - 2014-06-05

    X_MS_MediaReceiverRegistrar should be properly faked in version 1.1.2, and I was even able to test on an old MP101 I found in the office.

  • Justin Maggard

    Justin Maggard - 2014-06-05
    • status: open --> closed-fixed
    • assigned_to: Justin Maggard

Log in to post a comment.