Ubuntu: /lib/libc.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.11'

2010-04-15
2013-06-06
  • Steven Zalek

Steven Zalek - 2010-04-15

Hello,

I'm new to using the cross mingw cross compiler in Ubuntu, but I have used TDM's mingw compiler with CodeBlocks in windows for some time now.

I'm having some difficulty getting the mingw-w32-bin_x86_64-linux compiler properly set up in Ubuntu. I set up the mingw cross compiler in my home folder, and created a new compiler option within CodeBlocks per the wiki instructions. When I attempt to build the default  "Hello World" project I get the following error:

i686-w64-mingw32-g++: /lib/lib.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by i686-w64-mingw32-g++)
    Process terminated with status 1
    0 errors, 0 warnings

I attempted including the /lib directory in the 'Additional Paths' section of the CodeBocks mingw compiler set-up, but this did not help.

Any insight into how I can get this corrected would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    SZ

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-04-15

You cannot correct that one. It means that the toolchain you tried using was built against a newer (>=2.11) version of glibc than what you have. You must either build your own toolchain, or find/use a one built against an older version of glibc (I don't know what version is included in your ubuntu.)

• Steven Zalek

Thanks!

I guess I'll have to build my own cross compiler.

• Ozkan Sezer

Ozkan Sezer - 2010-04-15

> Thanks!
    >
    > I guess I'll have to build my own cross compiler.
    >

<shameless plug> You can try one of my personal builds, though :
    the x86_64-linux hosted tools are built against glibc-2.9 and the
    i686-linux hosted ones are built against glibc-2.8. </shameless plug>

• Doug Semler

Doug Semler - 2010-04-15

It looks like the 2.11 function being pulled is mkstemps (actually a side effect of the fact that on that build machine, libiberty finds mkstemps and therefore doesn't include it in its build).

There's no real way around this unless the builder falls back to an older system or you upgrade to a newer system.

• Steven Zalek

Wow!

I've been struggling with building the gcc core this afternoon…

I would like to build a cross compiler that runs on my Ubuntu 9.10 system and allows me to cross compile to create windows binaries.

Do I simply type 'make makebuildroot - options' to run the script?
    What configure options do I have to set/change to make this happen?
    I noticed that your script expects libmpfr-2.4.2, but I have 2.4.1 on my system, and your script expects libmpc-4.3.2 and I have 4.3.1 (Ubuntu Karmic default versions). Should I upgrade these before proceeding with your script?

Thanks!

• NightStrike

NightStrike - 2010-04-15

The script downloads and builds everything it needs.  So for instance, for gmp/mpfr/mpc, it downloads the tarballs, puts them in the gcc build tree, and gcc builds static versions of those and uses those, not the ones on your system.  It's very self-contained.

All you need to do is:

make -f makebuildroot.mk

Then go have lunch.  It'll be a while.

• Steven Zalek

Sweet!

It's running now…

I assume that the script will create a cross-compiler which runs on linux (host) and builds windows binaries?

Thanks again!

• NightStrike

NightStrike - 2010-04-15

By default, it targets win64 (you can override that to target win32), and it'll be hosted on the platform you are building it on.

• Steven Zalek

If I extract the resulting 'mingw-w64-bin_Linux.tar.bz2' tarball contents to /usr/local (default prefix) than all should work?

• NightStrike

NightStrike - 2010-04-16

I would extract to some place less intrusive to your system, like maybe /opt/mw64.  Then just put /opt/mw64/bin in your PATH.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks