Installing TTF fonts; success and failure

Help
2004-09-17
2012-10-17
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi all,

Like many people who have used TeX/LaTeX for a few years, I would like to begin using other fonts than Computer Modern. I've been happy to experiment with the PSFNSS fonts (Times, Palatino, etc.).

After lots of reading, searching, learning and trying to understand, I've learned quite a bit about the complicated world of fonts in the last 3-4 years. I've come to appreciate the finer points of math fonts and extended font sets, and I've even considered purchasing Y-and-Y's brilliant-looking Lucida Bright font set, although it's just far too expensive for "just" a font to buy for my own personal use.

So I've come to the point of having to consider using some of the TrueType fonts I have installed for non-mathematics texts. I've gathered some documentation: the Font Installation Guide, fontinst documentation, and fntguide. (I haven't yet read them in depth, mind you.) And I've started with the best resource for TTF conversion under MiKTeX that I could find:
    http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm

Through this online guide came more or less my first success. I was able to generate, install and map the necessary files for viewing in LaTeX (tfm and vf), and the pk fonts generated automatically. Using dvips of course generated tremendously large PS output, since only bitmaps were being generated.

So I continued with the directions, trying to generate, install and correctly map the Type1 fonts. Here I ran into trouble. That particular guide was written for MiKTeX 1.1, and I am using 2.4. Obviously, pdfTeX has evolved in between. For one thing, it seems that texmf\pdftex\base no longer exists; apparently the content of base has been moved to pdftex\config. Additionally, you have to configure pdfTeX using a pdftex.cfg that you add in localtexmf. So I followed the guide as carefully as I could while trying to make sense of new things, but my results were rather disappointing. I could generate pdf files with the fonts in them, but I get the rasterized fonts instead of scalable fonts, and the PS output is still enormous.

Then I discovered on this forum that there is a TTF Installer. I downloaded it, installed the software and tried it, but the font installation fails, for reasons I can't understand. It shows the messages:

X "C:\Program Files\office\latex\texmf\miktex\bin\ttf2tfm" lbrite.ttf -q -T T1-WGL4.enc -v eclbrite.vpl reclbrite.tfm
    X *** Font Installation failed! ***

over and over, each time I click on "Finish". obviously I recognize the command, but I don't understand why it fails, or why it tries over and over to repeat the failed step.

So the detailed guide is out of date, the TTF Installer doesn't seem to work for me, and the excellent font guides I mentioned above say next to nothing about converting TTF fonts. Does anyone know of a more recent guide that also patiently walks you through the installation?

If I can't find a better guide, I suppose I will try to use ttf2afm to make the afm files, and use fontinst from there.

I will succeed! ;)

Regards,
    Mike (waiting for his forum registration email)

• Nobody/Anonymous

This is definitely more up-to-date:
      http://ipe.compgeom.org/pdftex.html

I also found this collection of links useful:
      http://staff.ttu.ee/~alahe/atruetype.html

I never had the problem you describe with ttf2tfm on MikTeX...

I DO have problems however with ttf2pfb and ttf2pk. The former produces corrupt pfb files (FontForge can't read them), and the latter is unable to read ttfonts.map, except when it is put in the current directory. But then it complains about a tfm file it cannot find in it !?!

Also pdftex/latex is no longer able to deal with TrueType fonts on my system, even though the conversion of a dvi file from latex with dvipdfm works just fine. pdftex claims that it is unable to open the Type 1 font (sic), even though it reads the appropriate line in the map file which indicates which ttf file to include.

Anyone had similar experiences lately?

Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks