JAVA3D Not working. Tried lots

Help
Anonymous
2010-06-14
2013-05-20
  • Anonymous - 2010-06-14

I;m using MEV on a Windows x64 AMD64 machine and have installed Java3D x64  versions 1.5.1, and also 1.5.2. I've changed the environment variables to match the help files as directed. Java 3D is detected in the system info, and at MEV startup.  Currently running JRE 1.6.0_20,  JVM 166.3-b01. J3DRE is listed on the system info as version1.2. The PATH command shows the J3DRE paths to 1.51 jar files. Java 3D works in other applications (Genesis).  Suggestions?

• Anonymous - 2010-06-14

Forgot to add I'm using MEV 4.5.1.
    Thanks.

• Anonymous - 2010-06-14

I was able to workaround the problem, but not really fix it. The version 4.5.1 of MEV installs with an older Java3D (version 1.2) in the directory M_E_V_4.5.1\lib\ and using Windows (or at least WinXP-x64) there is no way to get MEV to look elsewhere for JAVA3D!

I changed the JAVA environment variables, the CLASSPath, the system path, uninstalled and re-installed JRE6 (v 6.0.200.2) several times. This resulted in MEV clearly loaded saying that JAVA 3D was installed in the startup terminal window, AND TMEV "About>>>System Info>>>" showed that Java3D v 1.5.1 was installed, the software would not use these paths.  The error was:

MeV Branch: https://mev-tm4.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mev-tm4/branches/MeV_4_5
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
            at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.paintRow(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalTreeUI.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
            at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
            at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

(Which wasn't very informative to me)

WORKAROUND:
    Copy the three files j3dcore.jar, j3dutils.jar, vecmath.jar from your \\Java3D\1.5.1\lib\ext folder into your \\M_E_V_4.5.1\lib\  folder. You can copy over the existing (v 1.2) files or you can move or rename them first. You also have to copy j3dcore-ogl.dll from your \\Java3D\1.5.1\bin\ folder into your \\Java3D\1.5.1\lib\ext folder and your \MeV_4_5_1\ folder (where the batch file starts MEV).

This will allow the 3D graphics to run as long as your graphics card supports at least OpenGL v 1.2.  Double checked on two separate computers.  I suspect this is a bug related to WinXP-x64.

-Pete

• Daniel Gonzalez

Daniel Gonzalez - 2010-06-15

Dear Pete:

I am a Mev user and the problem that jar 3d files 1.2 version (an older java3d) are in /lib directory of Mev files was reported by me on 2009-09-04:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mev-tm4/forums/forum/378852/topic/3386740 (message 5) (Mev version 4.4.1)

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I think these jar files should be updated on Mev.

Best regards.

Daniel.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks