Menu

Programmatically create mesh screenshots

Help
Nick D
2017-01-16
2017-01-17
  • Nick D

Nick D - 2017-01-16

This question has been asked before on this forum, but not recently, and I was wondering if there are new developments.

I have many, many meshes and I would like to create images for all those meshes from the same orientation and camera settings. There are too many meshes to load them all into memory as layers and would be far too time consuming to do this manually.

Is there a way to create images programmatically from meshes (specifically .ply files)?

I know that there is at least some internal capacity for this on Mac OS X as the mesh files have thumbnail previews. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

• AntonyStewart

AntonyStewart - 2017-01-17

That has to be a general windows program. it has to write windows thumbnail file and read one or many mesh types, esp stl, obk and ply. meshes can take 1 minute to load sometimes, so perhaps the best idea is to voxelize an outline of the mesh by checking for collision through the middle, so you would have a cross section of every mesh. if your files are small, you can upload them all the thingiverse, it will take 20 minuts to generate many thums of them on their website, it only works with STL. I looked for a program for that last year for windows, didn't find much at all. if i was to write that program, one option would be to find a command line program that can take screenshots of mesh, or to rig a command line solution to it, usign a program that can batch process.

• Tom Noble

Tom Noble - 2017-01-17

This might do what you want but I don't think it reads .ply files. Free, might be worth a look.

http://www.glc-player.net/doc.php?page=multiCaptures