MediaTomb and PS3 - all fine apart from MP3

Help
2008-06-14
2013-05-30
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • BatMan

BatMan - 2008-09-06

I think I know what the issue might be.

When an smb share is mounted using cifs the directories and files become case insensitive to some extent.

If you have a directory on the share named Sampledir both
    cd /mnt/share/Sampledir and cd /mnt/share/sampledir will succeed in changing the dir (I am not sure if that is also the case if the smb server sits on linux).

Unfortunately, even though you can browse /mnt/share/sampledir mediatomb will not be able to access the files. If you try to play a file in a player the server will write the following error to the console:
    ERROR: FileIOHandler::open: failed to open: /mnt/share/sampledir/filename

The filemagic will not be able to access the files as well which will result in unresolved mime type (this might be actually the main cause of the problem as each file is probed with it before it's played; I have not tried recompiling the mediatomb without libmagic support).

The solution in my case was very simple. I just had to write mediatomb -a /dir using the same letter case as was originally on the server.

I know the thread is quite old but I hope someone finds this helpful as I spent my whole day today on such a trivial thing.

My config:
    MediaTomb on Ubuntu 8.04
    SMB server on ZyXEL NSA-220 NAS box
    Player: ZyXEL DMA-1000

• Jin

Jin - 2008-09-07

Thanks for the info, that might be a point for the wiki/faq...

• T0MA

T0MA - 2011-09-23

I know this is an ancient thread but nevertheless I feel like I have to share my solution.

In /etc/init.d/mediatomb make the following changes:
    # Run as root if USER not specified
    #if ; then
            USER=root
    #fi

This will force mediatomb to run as root at startup no matter what.

Cheers!

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks