mp2p files and PS3 woes

Help
2007-07-06
2013-05-30
  • NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio - 2007-07-06

Hi All,

I converted a bunch of AVI's over to MPEG2 with RedKawa for PS3.  Those played fine using TVersity under Windows but now I rather run a Linux server and MediaTomb has been working good so far except for the files that are identified as video/mp2p by the file command.  These are not playable on the PS3 as is but if I change the mime type to video/mpeg in the brower utility they work fine.  Is there a fast way to convert the mime on these files, or a way to tell MediaTomb to send mp2p files as video/mpeg?  I would sure hate to have to go through each file in the browser since they number close to 400.  What about changing the database information in MySQL?  I did notice some BLOB fields that change when the mime type is changed.  Is there a formula I could use to write a MySQL script?

Thanks for the great software for Linux!

• NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio - 2007-07-06

I forgot to mention that I am running version 0.9.2 from SVN.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-07

Hi,

you think too complicated, no need to mess with MySQL, the answer to your question is here:
      http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation#id2856454
      scroll down to the extension-mimetype mappings, that's what you need.

simply define a mapping from mpg to video/mpeg in your config.xml, restart the server and reimport your video files.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio - 2007-07-07

Yeah, I tend to take the complicated route when I am new to a software package.  Changing the mapping did work, Thanks Jin. I also added <treat mimetype="video/mp2p" as="mpg"/> to your suggestion just to be sure the mp2p files were treated correctly.  One thing that is now happening is that 95% of the mp2p files are playable but a few still show as "Unsupported" even though they have the same encoding, file type, and file -i information as the ones that work. 

Since the video is 95% working I tried adding my MP3 collection but all of them show up as "Unsupported" on the PS3.  My mappings look like this:

<mappings>
            <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
              <map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
              <map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>
              <map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
              <map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
              <map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
              <map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
              <map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
              <map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
              <map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
              <map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
              <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
              <map from="m3u" to="audio/x-mpegurl"/>
              <map from="pls" to="audio/x-scpls"/>
            </extension-mimetype>
            <mimetype-upnpclass>
              <map from="audio/*" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
              <map from="application/ogg" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
              <map from="video/*" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
              <map from="image/*" to="object.item.imageItem"/>
            </mimetype-upnpclass>
            <mimetype-contenttype>
              <treat mimetype="audio/mpeg" as="mp3"/>
              <treat mimetype="video/mp2p" as="mpg"/>
              <treat mimetype="application/ogg" as="ogg"/>
              <treat mimetype="audio/x-flac" as="flac"/>
              <treat mimetype="image/jpeg" as="jpg"/>
              <treat mimetype="audio/x-mpegurl" as="playlist"/>
              <treat mimetype="audio/x-scpls" as="playlist"/>
            </mimetype-contenttype>
          </mappings>

Did I miss something?

Even with the few snags I am encountering this software works better than WMP11.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-07

btw just to be sure - you did add the extend protocol info option that is required for PS3 support, right?

reagarding the mpeg files - I can not really think of something, if you encoded everything in the same way and the mimetype is set correctly... we do not do anything special, we just serve the file as it is; filemagic can also not be a problem there because you specified the extension to mimetype mapping in the configuration. you could of course try serving the files that fail from WMP11 and see if it works there; if not - then most probably something is wrong with the files, if it does - then we should do some more investigation.

one thing though, the extension specified in extension to mimetype mapping is case sensitive!

no idea about MP3.. it should work if you enabled the PS3 support option as described in the documentation and if the mimetype for your mp3 files is set correctly

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-07

seems that MP3 are broken in current SVN, I'll take a look at it tonight

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-07

some more testing - MP3 are fine with my renderer, so it must be a PS3 specific thing again.

I do not have a PS3 so debugging will be difficult, let's see if we can figure it out

• NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio - 2007-07-07

Sorry, my bad.  The many times I recreated the .cfg I forgot to add <protocolInfo extend="yes"/> the last few times.  MP3 works fine now and I can fast forward video again, which I could not do before.

As for the mp2p files, once I removed the files from being shared, let the database update, then share the files again they started showing up correctly.  Maybe you can add an option to completely refresh the database information or at least for selected files/directories through the web browser would be helpful.

I'm still a bit on the fuzzy when it comes to mime-types.  Could I use mappers to play avi files that work on Linux to stream to the PS3?  How about mp4 or VOB files?  I'm hoping that I can eliminate the need to transcode some of the hundreds of video I have.

It is nice to have another part of my life become M$ free.  Keep up the good work!

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-07

OK, good to hear that it works :> Still waiting for another PS3 user on IRC to confirm that he has the protocolInfo option enabled, he also reported problems with MP3 playback.

Well, this refresh thing is planned, we did not yet have time to add it; it is indeed not very convinient to readd the data manually once the config.xml has changed.

The mimetype just tells the renderer what kind of data it is dealing with, but then it comes down the renderer to be able to decode and play that data. I do not konw what format the PS3 is supporting, but you can surely feed it anything that it is able to decode, that may also include VOB files since they are mpeg2 anyway (if I am not mistaken :)

Jin

• Art Wallace

Art Wallace - 2007-07-11

MP3s are playing correctly on my PS3 with fw 1.82. But I'm still running mediatomb 0.9.1 and will get the crash after playing ~5 files. Looking forward to the next release that is supposed to fix this.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-07-11

Now wait, what crash (or did I forget something?)

So far we had only two users who experienced a crash when importing media, the issue was somehow related to import scripting; however they retested it with the current SVN code and the problem was not present there.

A crash after playing 5 files is new to me (or did I really forget?) :)

Can you give more details or point me to the forum post if this has already been reported?

Or do you mean the issue related to PS3 and socket timeouts?

We were going to release this weekend, did not make it in time, we'll try to bring the new version today or tomorrow.

Thanks,
      Jin

• Art Wallace

Art Wallace - 2007-07-12

"Or do you mean the issue related to PS3 and socket timeouts?"
      Probably this was the issue I was talking about. I will try the new 0.10.0 soon.