PS3 loses sound then freeses with DLNA error

  • Sean Mullen

    Sean Mullen - 2010-11-01

       For a long time, things were working great with streaming to my PS3.  After one of the 3.x firmware updates I started having an issue where several times during a movie, the PS3 loses sound and then a few seconds later, the picture freezes and I get a DLNA error on the screen (from the PS3).

       My server and PS3 are on a hardwired network and the server is a quad core Phenom II x4 so it certainly shouldn't be a bandwidth issue.

       I was assuming this was PS3 error/issues.  As a work around, if I copy the movie to the PS3 hard drive, I can copy it all in a minute or two and the movie plays fine.

       Lately I've been trying to further research the issue and I noticed that when this occurs, the PS3 will no longer communicate with mediatomb at all until I go to the server and restart mediatomb so I'm now not sure of it's a PS3 error, a mediatomb erro or both.

      I'm running Mediatomb on Ubuntu Maverick (been having the issue since Jaunty I think or maybe karmic).  I'm running my own build of Mediatomb with JS and most other features enabled (not the crappy Ubuntu official version).

    Any thoughts/others seeing this?

  • Sean Mullen

    Sean Mullen - 2010-11-01

    Oh, one more note, I'm streaming h264/aac m4v's converted from DVD (mostly)/BD (a few) to m4v/mp4 using handbrake.

  • mianbao

    mianbao - 2010-11-01

    Hmmm, I'm running almost the exact same setup (although I'm on Ubuntu 10.04).  Streaming m4v's/mp4s to a PS3 through a wired network, and I  don't have the DNLA errors.  I'm using the regular Ubuntu official version of Mediatomb, though, so maybe you could try removing the custom install and try the basic and see if that helps?

  • Sean Mullen

    Sean Mullen - 2010-11-02

       I'll give it a try to see what happens.  I need the scripting that Ubuntu was nice enough to cut out but at least this is an idea that could provide some hope.

  • mianbao

    mianbao - 2010-11-02

    Cool, good luck mullens.  Another thing that I should mention is that I was getting a little bit of stuttering with mp4s, possibly due to not de-interlacing properly.  Since disk space wasn't an issue for me I've switched to just merging the VOB files and that is working really nicely on the PS3.  I just followed instructions here to make that work:

  • Lyall Pearce

    Lyall Pearce - 2010-11-24

    I also have the occasional 'pause,resume' effect on my PS3 (latest Sony patched) using MediaTomb 0.12.1 (sourced from
    Once the pause/resume effect starts, it is generally a prelude to a complete connection failure.
    I am playing .avi files, typically containing "RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 352, 23.98 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)"
    I run on Gentoo Intel Core2 Quad Core Q9400, 32 bit.
    My PS3 is connected via wireless, being about 5m from the transmitter.
    No other wireless networks in my vicinity are on the same channels.
    Sometimes I find pressing 'pause' on the PS3 and giving things 10 seconds or so, to settle down, helps. Other times, rebooting the PS3 or even restarting MediaTomb.
    Personally, I suspect the PS3.

  • Lyall Pearce

    Lyall Pearce - 2010-12-07

    I seem to have found a way to reduce the problem.
    In the <profile> tag, I doubled all values. PS3 seems more reliable now.

            <buffer size="20971520" chunk-size="524288" fill-size="1048576"/>

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

No, thanks