Pause and FF when transcoding

Help
crusher88
2011-04-12
2013-05-30
  • crusher88

crusher88 - 2011-04-12

Hi!

Comming from PS3Mediaserver, I'm a little confused why Mediatomb doesn't support pause and FF on transcoded streams. This might be the wrong forum, but can someone explain why PS3mediaserver supports pause and FF, while Mediatomb doesn't? Can it be solved by using a custom transcoder-script?

BR,
    C

• BT

BT - 2011-04-13

I'm not sure since I've never used PS3Mediaserver, but It might be because PS3Mediaserver caches the transcoded files? MediaTomb transcodes files on the fly so the final size of the transcoded stream is unknown, which makes seeking impossible. You can't solve it with a custom transcoding script either.

If you are using MediaTomb with a PS3 you can pause a transcoded stream by pressing the PS button.

• BT

BT - 2011-04-13

Another way that PS3Mediaserver might be able to achieve this is by setting the transcoded stream length to some arbitrarily long number. I remember the MediaTomb developers discussing this but considered it a "hack". They would rather implement a clean solution to this problem.

• Anonymous - 2011-04-14

Yeah, amak79's answer makes sense to me, since I'm pretty sure that I can FF and pause, but I'm storing my video in a format which doesn't require transcoding (VOB or M2TS).  I'm playing back on a ps3.