Close

Mediatomb & Windows Phone

Help
Chad
2012-06-10
2013-05-30
  • Chad

Chad - 2012-06-10

Hi, i'm new to linux and ffmpeg/streaming/transcoding etc. I am seriously getting a headache from all this.

WP7 streams mp4's directly through mediatomb but not  avi's unless I use ffmpeg to copy all into a wmv file: $ ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v copy -c:a copy -y output.wmv.

How do I get avi's to transcode on the fly??

transcoding to mp4 won't work because of that moov atom not at the beginning of the file. Windows phone seems to ignore all mimetype settings and plays only ext's mp4 and wmv. transcoding to a FIFO just won't work.

Transcoding separately and trying to stream the resulting file (wmv) through mediatomb (while still transcoding) resets my phone. Can anyone give me a laymans guide to output/stream an avi(divx) file to windows phone?

• Chad

Chad - 2012-06-10

Correction: WP7 will stream mp4's and wmv's already in the correct format. How do you transcode from avi on the fly to these formats?

• Chad

Chad - 2012-06-10

Update…

Googling about seems to suggest that you can't transcode on the fly to mp4 because of the moov atom being at the end of the file instead of the beginning. I can't find a wmv muxer in ffmpeg to transcode to. asf files do not play on wp7. Is there a way to run the ffmpeg command: ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v copy -c:a copy -y output.wmv (or mp4), within mediatomb transcoding options, wait for it to complete (matter of seconds) and then stream this mp4/wmv file instead of the default /tmp/FIFO file?

I really do not want to convert all my avi files manually.

• BT

BT - 2012-06-17

Does WP7 accept MPEG-2? If it does then you should be able to use the following ffmpeg command.

<agent command="ffmpeg" arguments="-i %in -vcodec mpeg2video -b 4096k -r 25 -acodec mp2 -ab 192k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 1 -f dvd -threads 2 -y %out"/>