.9 on ubuntu with firefox js

Help
2007-01-04
2013-05-30
  • Rich Boccuzzi

Rich Boccuzzi - 2007-01-04

I checked out latest as of today, built everything on Ubuntu 6.10, using firefox javascript, not spidermonkey
    (I had to use ./configure --with-js-h=/usr/include/firefox/js --with-js-libs=/usr/lib/firefox and got that
    to compile.  I then installed, created mysql db, no problems.  Brought up the web ui, and was able to add
    songs, such that my DMS1 could browse using PC Directory and play the music.

However, in the log, for every song I was getting  WARNING: skipping [full path to mp3]:
    Scripting: failed to execute script, and none of the virtual objects are created.

When I change configure to have argument --enable-js=no instead of above, it didn't put in the javascript, and
    everything seems to work, but then I have reduced functionality.

Thoughts?

Not sure how to debug this, so even advice in that direction would be welcome.
    $Rich

• Rich Boccuzzi

Incidentaly, I am sure the problem is I am using Firefox dev, not the ubuntu packages libsmjs1 and libsmjs-dev, but I had no choice...when I try to install those packages, I get all kind of conflicts on package mozilla-browser, probably because firefox is installed already.  Anyway, I don't know if there is plans to make it work, but if I need to rip apart a new ubuntu distro to get this to work, that isn't going to happen, unfortunately. Especially since this is such a great program.

$Rich

• Rich Boccuzzi

A little more information: it only seems to error if addCdsObject is called in the script, and it is
      dying here:
      Exception raised in [../src/scripting/scripting.cc:618] processCdsObject(): Scripting: failed to execute script

If I make the script simple (comment out the addAudio function call), the script works fine, but of course, it doesn't really do much good either.

Stuck, going to bed.

$Rich

• Jin

Jin - 2007-01-04

Uhm.. the supported js version is the one from mozilla - that comes in the js or smjs packages. Actually I was not aware that firefox also provides some dev stuff. Leo is using Ubuntu, I'll check with him what packages he is using.

We'll come back to you on this.

Greetings,
      Jin

• Leo

Leo - 2007-01-04

Hi!

This is a known package conflict on Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy). See: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner/+bug/57161

Here is my workaround (only needed on Ubuntu edgy):
      Install "libmozjs0d", but not "libmozjs-dev" (because this is the problematic package).

Download the needed header files separately from http://mediatomb.org/edgy_mediatomb_libmozjs-h.tar.gz , extract them and give the option --with-js-h=/path/to/downloaded/libmozjs-h to configure.

Please tell me if this works for you.

greets,
      Leo

• Rich Boccuzzi

Rich Boccuzzi - 2007-01-05

Aside from having to do ln -s /usr/lib/libmozjs.so.0d libmozjs.so to make it work,
        everything seems to be in working order.  Thanks!

$Rich

• Jatin Desai

Jatin Desai - 2007-08-20

Thanks - this has been most helpful. I was getting the same "addCdsObject" not found message on ubuntu gutsy (I had to move to gutsy to even build with js). This post (remove libmozjs-dev and subsequent reply "ln -s in the /usr/lib...") saved the day for me. Earlier I spent a whole day debugging the problem.

Also, I am not sure where to post this about device compatibility, but I have been using MediaTomb with SMCWAA-G device and it has been working like a charm.

Thanks for an extremely useful tool. I can't wait for transcoding - so I can server tunes to my treo 650. hope that I will be able to just re-direct my port from my router and get this working. Somehow, I have a feeling that this is not going to be so simple.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-20

Thanks for the feedback!

I will add the device to the supported devices list. Not sure what the port redirection is all about, the transcoding feature will convert music/video data that is streamed from MediaTomb to a format of your choice, but you will access it with your device as always (i.e. by just browsing MediaTomb and playing the content you like)

Kind regards,
            Jin

• Rich Boccuzzi

Rich Boccuzzi - 2007-01-05

Okay, stupid question, but why is configure not finding /usr/lib/libmozjs.so.0d ?  it is there, but configure refuses to find it.

I had to ln -s /usr/lib/libmozjs.so.0d libmozjs.so to make it work.

Why would I need to do that?  What is missing from my setup, or why wouldn't that have been done on installation?  I am pretty sure this is a stupid question, sorry...

$Rich

• Leo

Leo - 2007-01-05

$Rich wrote:
        >Okay, stupid question, but why is configure not finding /usr/lib/libmozjs.so.0d ?
        > it is there, but configure refuses to find it.
        > I had to ln -s /usr/lib/libmozjs.so.0d libmozjs.so to make it work.
        > Why would I need to do that? What is missing from my setup, or why wouldn't
        > that have been done on installation? I am pretty sure this is a stupid question, sorry...

Well, the .0d is to avoid name clashes with old libraries. The correct one would be in the packet libmozjs-dev, which dependencies are unfortunately messed up horribly for Ubuntu 6.10. Your symlink seems to be the easiest solution until they fixed Ubuntu.

greets,
        Leo