SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Strange problems with video's and samsung tv

Help
Anonymous
2010-11-10
2013-05-30
  • Anonymous

    Anonymous - 2010-11-10

    Hello,

    I have a Samsung LCD tv which is brand new, I have setup DLNA and it works pretty well with all the samsung tweaks required in mediatomb. Now I have started to encode my entire DVD collection so that its nice and easy to manage and view the movies. I am using handbrake to do the encoding. I am using the 'handbrake preset 'Film' with x264 encoding. Everything works fine for the encoding and I can view all the video files in vlc and other players. However on the Samsung TV 95% of the encoded films work, the remainder just fail saying the encoded format is invalid. What I find really strange is that all of the files have been encoded with an identical command line using identical methods (I literally wrote a small script to do it so I know its always identical). I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues with the Samsung TV's with Mediatomb so I can identify if its a problem with the TV, path, filenames etc or whatever could be the issue.

    Secondly I have been trying to find if there are any limitations around path lengths, filename lengths, etc within the DLNA/uPnP protocols? Does anyone know where I could find that information. It doesn't seem to be clear in any of the docs I have read.

    Regards,

    Jimmy

     
  • Andy_NL

    Andy_NL - 2010-11-10

    Hi Jimmy,

    I also have a Samsung TV (UE40C6700), and I use MT (with samsung tweaks) for quite a while now. I didn't notice any problems with any single file video format.
    When I encode DVD's for the samsung TV I use DVDFab to encode to x264.
    If you could provide more details on handbrake (version etc) and share your script then I can take a look at the difference in encoding results between DVDFab and using handbrake.

    Regards,
    Andy

     
  • Anonymous

    Anonymous - 2010-11-11

    Hi There,

    The command I use to do the encoding is as follows.

       /usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i $file -o $directory/$output -e x264 -preset="Film"

    Where file is basically the DVD image, $directory is the name of the DVD image with no file extension, and output is the same but with m4v as the tail.

    It's particularly annoying as I have just encoded 200 dvd's and the vast majority work, there are just a few which don't despite using the same command.

    Regards,

    Jimmy.

     

Log in to post a comment.