new folders not added to database

• Anonymous - 2010-12-05

Hi All,

I hope this is not a duplicate question, but I searched without any luck in the forums…
    I have a set of tv shows episodes organized as follows: <base_folder>/<show_title>/<season_number>/<episode_video_file>
    I set up mediatomb to monitor <base_folder> with "inotify/full scan/recursive" settings.

All episodes are correctly taken from file system and organized according the same structure; also, every time a new episode is released and placed in his folder, it's immediately visible in mediatomb and therefore accessible via any dlna client. The same apply for episode renaming or removing.

The problem is that every time a create a new folder (either for a new season or a new tv show), it doesn't show up in mediatomb. The only way I have to see it appear in my shows list is to access to force a rescan of entire monitored folder; then, from now on, every time I add/remove/modify a file into the new folder, it's correctly reported into the database.

I'm running  Mediatomb 0.12.1 on Gentoo Linux, compiled as follows:

# mediatomb -compile-info

MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.1 -

Copyright 2005-2010 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
    MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License version 2

Compile info:

host: i686-pc-linux-gnu
    sqlite3: disabled
    mysql: yes
    libjs: yes
    libmagic: yes
    inotify: yes
    libexif: yes
    id3lib: disabled
    taglib: yes
    ffmpeg yes
    libmp4v2: yes
    external transcoding: yes
    curl: yes
    YouTube: yes
    libextractor disabled
    db-autocreate: yes
    debug log: yes
    protocol info extension:yes
    ffmpegthumbnailer: yes
    lastfmlib: disabled
    data directory: /usr/share/mediatomb

Am I missing or making something wrong?

Thanks in advance and Regards!

• Dennis Jakobsen

Dennis Jakobsen - 2012-02-17

nope, you have inotify enabled. you can use inotifywatch to check if your filesystem supports it, mine does, but mediatomb's implementation does not work and has never worked in the 2 years that i have used it.

you have to restart mediatomb, that will make it refresh the "watched folders" that arent really watched but was supposed to be inotify watched ..   get it ? .. me neither..   but don't hold your breath for this to ever be fixed :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks