solaris

Help
Shea M.
2007-05-24
2013-05-30
  • Shea M.

Shea M. - 2007-05-24

Any chance of this being ported to Solaris?  I have read reports of people not being able to build on Solaris, even with GCC.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-05-24

Actually it already is.. or should be :)

Well, the story goes like that:
      I have a buddy who uses Solaris a lot, I think he has v10 and v9 running on Sun hardware. We were able to build MediaTomb on it and it worked quit well, as far as I know he is using it at home.

This was before the 0.9.0 release, so all porting work that was done should be in 0.9.0.

Unfortunately he is very short on time and we could not really test a lot or do much development.

So I'd say - just go ahead any try it and let me know if you run into any problems. I'm surely willing to help if something does not work out as it should.

Greetings,
      Jin

• Shea M.

Shea M. - 2007-05-24

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Did you guys use gcc or sun's compilers?  Were there any other tricks you can think of?

Thanks,
      ~S

• Jin

Jin - 2007-05-24

I do not exactly know what he used, but I think he did use GCC.

I also remember that he had to recompile mysql (he did not want to use sqlite) because by default
      mysqlclient was not suppliying the threadsafe libmysqlclient_r* libraries, that needed to be enabled via a configure option.

But apart from that everything was pretty straight, just make sure you have all dependencies and make sure that MediaTomb's configure knows where to find the stuff.

We have some Solaris #ifdef's there, so it should compile.

Let me know how it goes :)

Greetings,
      Jin

• Shea M.

Shea M. - 2007-05-25

Ok, I finally got this beast to build using Sun's compilers. (Sun's compilers generally produce slightly faster code than gcc on SPARC).  I had to make a number of changes.  If you are interested, I can send you my build dir, and you can do a directory diff on it, to see the changes I made.  Most of the changes should be made for all platforms, (i.e., const correctness, etc).

If you are interested, let me know.

~S

• Leo

Leo - 2007-05-25

Hi sheam!

Yes, we are indeed interested in the diff. Please send it to "contact [at] mediatomb [dot] cc". Thank you!

greets, Leo

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks