lcj
2012-04-29
2013-08-03
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • lcj
    lcj
    2012-05-01

Never under-estimate the value of sleep.  I had these in my iptables rules:

iptables -v -A INPUT -i eth0 -s 0.0.0.0/32 -d 224.0.0.1/32 -p igmp -j ACCEPT
    iptables -v -A INPUT -i eth0 -d 239.0.0.0/8  -p igmp -j ACCEPT

One of the things I do with iptables is log packets that have been dropped. This morning I checked, and found packets destined for port 1900 on the internal network were being dropped. Reference was made to this in the faq, but as I mentioned, I'm using the same firewall rules as before, and they worked. I added this to the output rules:

iptables -v -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -s 192.168.0.1 -d 224.0.0.1/32 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -v -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -s 192.168.0.1 -d 239.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT

After adding these rules, nothing happened.  I then restarted medatomb. Withing a few seconds the server was found. Progress! Now, why does nothing see the server unless I restart it?

• lcj
    lcj
    2012-05-01

Reading the documentation section on Initial Installation, I see this comment:

# route add -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 eth1
    # ifconfig eth1 allmulti

Those settings will be applied automatically by the init.d startup script.

First of all, if I manually enter "ifconfig eth0 allmulti" all UPnP clients can see the mediatomb server. If I look in /etc/init.d/mediatomb, I don't see where this gets executed. If I reboot the machine, nobody sees the server unless I restart mediatomb. If I retype the ifconfig command, it works. Where, exactly, should this command be?

• BT
    BT
    2012-05-02

The init.d script will run the route command you need but only if INTERFACE is defined in /etc/default/mediatomb. Also make sure you don't have OPTIONS set with -ip or -i as you can't use both ip and interface options at the same time. Also remove any <ip> or <interface> elements from config.xml as they're not needed.

The init.d script doesn't execute the ifconfig command. Try the above first and see if it works without ifconfig.

• BT
    BT
    2012-05-02

If you still need to run ifconfig then you can add the following to /etc/network/interfaces.

post-up ifconfig eth1 allmulti

• lcj
    lcj
    2012-05-02

In /etc/default/mediatomb I have INTERFACE="eth0", and in /etc/mediatomb/config.xml I have the <ip> and <interface> lines commented out.

If I attempt to start Mediatomb with INTERFACE="eth0" in /etc/defaults/mediatomb and <ip>192.168.0.1</ip> in config.xml, it crashes. It's nice enough to explain why in /var/log/mediatomb.log.

On the other hand if I have INTERFACE="eth0" in /etc/defaults/mediatomb and <interface>eth0</interface> in config.xml, it starts up without complaint.

The route command worked as soon as I set INTERFACE="eth0", it's the ifconfig call that's burning me. I doctored /etc/init.d/mediatomb to add it on start-up but I like the idea of editing /etc/network/interfaces better. I'll try that.

Thanks for the tip, and all the other help. It's nice to be able to kick a problem around when you're stuck; sometimes rtfm just isn't quite enough.

• BT
    BT
    2012-05-02

It crashes because you can't mix and match interface and ip usage. All you need is INTERFACE set in /etc/default/mediatomb. You don't need to have <interface> in config.xml but it's doesn't hurt either.

You should definitely set ipconfig in /etc/network/interfaces because setting it in the init.d script will almost certainly be overwritten on a package update.

• Anonymous
    2013-02-23

I know amak got a resolution to his problem, i'm having a similar problem but with different symptoms.  My ps3 can see it and stream media from the mediatomb server.  Unfortunately, none of my android devices (tablets or phones) with any upnp clients can see the mediatomb server.   My windows pc mediaservers and my ps3 mediaserver running on my PC show up just not the mediatomb.   They are all on the same network the only difference is that they are wifi connected where as the ps3 is wired into the network.  I'll be happy to post any information like configs and logs but I've already ran through the allcast and multicast checks and there are no errors in the mediatomb log file.  Just curious if anyone has seen this or have an ideas of how i might troubleshoot.  It's just LAN functionality I'm concerned with.  I'm running the Mediatomb on an ubuntu server host running version 0.21.1.   I tried adding mediatomb as a wan server on the clients just to see if that mattered no luck.  I'm open to trying a different android client if anyone has recommendations but I've read that others have been able to get this to work on upnplay.  

• Anonymous
    2013-02-24

Hi Folks,

I know amak came to a  resolution to his problem, i'm having a similar problem but with different symptoms. My ps3 can see it and stream media from the mediatomb server. Unfortunately, none of my android devices (tablets or phones) with any upnp clients can see the mediatomb server.

My windows pc mediaservers and my ps3 mediaserver running on my PC show up just not the mediatomb. They are all on the same network the only difference is that they are wifi connected where as the ps3 is wired into the network. I'll be happy to post any information like configs and logs but I've already ran through the allcast and multicast checks and there are no errors in the mediatomb log file.

Has anyone else seen this or have an ideas of how i might troubleshoot? It's just LAN functionality I'm concerned with. I'm running the Mediatomb on an ubuntu server host running version 0.21.1. I tried adding mediatomb as a wan server on the clients just to see if that mattered no luck. I'm open to trying a different android client if anyone has recommendations but I've seen others able to get this to work on upnplay.

• ^GaMbi
    ^GaMbi
    2013-02-26

hmm :S I just got Mediatomb up and running today (after 2 days of trial and error) and Im now able to see mediatomb on: Wired PC, Wifi input to my TV and my android phone :)

Its running on my new Dlink DNS-325 and Im even able to access / stream over 3g/4g!

Im not sure as where your problem may lie since your wired ps3 reads and wifi dosnt :S
    maybe try and forward the  mediatomb port?
    Also: have you tried these apps?
    UPnPlay
    Skifta
    they both sniffed out the Mediatomb with no problems, uPnPlay is what I use :) great for streaming over the internet :)

Hope this is any help

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)