Hiding file extensions and caching

astr0b0y
2008-01-28
2013-05-30
  • astr0b0y

astr0b0y - 2008-01-28

Firstly, thanks to all that work on MediaTomb. It is the first UPnP server that seems to work on Mac at the right price! Love your work.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I would love to be able to stop file extensions from displaying on my renderer. Is there a way to do this in the config?
    I also had a question about buffering. I run MediaTomb on OS X Server (10.4), my renderer is a MediaGate 350HD, connected via wireless (802.11g). This work almost perfectly unless someone is using the wireless network for more than web browsing - then i experience a lot of dropouts. Does any buffering occur or is the dependent on the renderer. I have also noticed that browsing folders from the MediaGate is very slow using Mediatomb. If I set the MediaGate to use an FTP server or SMB share, browsing is very quick, almost like its local. Does Mediatomb create a directory structure to present the the renderer with every request?

• Jin

Jin - 2008-01-28

Hi,

regarding the extensions: MP3 files should anyway be sorted by ID3 tags (unless you are browsing PC Directory); you can however indeed hide extensions on a general basis, it would only require some minor adaptions to the import.js script, have a look at:
      http://mediatomb.cc/pages/scripting

Regarding the connection: buffering is usually done on the player, we access the data fast enough (it's local) so the player has to do the buffering to account for network lag.

I think UPnP browsing causes indeed more traffic than simple FTP - all metadata is transferred via XML which is a little bloated, however usually you will not notice the difference on a fast network.

So basically each time you enter a container XML data is exchanged, should not affect the speed that dramatically though.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• astr0b0y

astr0b0y - 2008-01-28

Thanks Jin

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks