i've tried out the mediatomb server today. I've used mediatomb-0.8.1-patched.tar.gz to get going, a bit of hassle but worth it. Should be available via deb, too, though.
I've also tried twonkymusic-server and ushare. twonkymusic has great usability but it has its flaws in configurability, and also some annyoing bugs. mediatomb can compete, if I understand the documentation right. With the scripting-interface it should be possible to create hierarchical stuctures built from the metadata of the mp3s, similiar like twonkymusic allows it via their configurable media-tree. Also intelligent features like treating mp3s with different artist-album-tag than artist-tag set should be possible (for samplers with many artist on one cd, a weak point of twonkyserver).
Anyway, great work, thanks for your contribution!
thanks for the feedback :) Nice to hear that you liked our server, especially since you are writing about the really outdated 0.8.1 release.
Since you are interested in server layout / scritping I would strongly recommend to check out the current development code from SVN. There have been some changes in the scripting interface, so it is probably not worth to hack around with 0.8.1
It was also our idea that the community picks up on the layout thing, but noone seemed to care about that yet, I guess the default script was good enough :>
We have however one user who is very interested in this, I think he adapted the script for an Audio only device and is also planning to contribute some translations, which is actually a great idea. If you are interested, please drop by in our IRC channel, it's #mediatomb on irc.freenode.net
By the way, we plan to implement a playlist parser, also with the help of the scripting interface, thus allowing users to write their own parsers for any playlist format. So there is definetely more to come, allthough I think that playlists will be introduced in 0.9.1
Regarding your question about .deb - the upcoming 0.9.0 release will provide .deb packages for Debian and Ubuntu.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply! Obviously this project is very much alive, I'll wait for the upcoming release then.
Two suggestions for (possible) improvements, though: the provided documention is great. There were only two minor things which took me a while. First, the configure-script for mediatomb expects the script mysql_config for assuming mysql-support. It took me while to find out which debian-package provides it (it's not the normal mysql-package). It's libmysqlclient15-dev, perhaps that's worth a mention. The other thing I'd like to add is a flaw in the tomb-install script. Even if you configured and compiled the application itself with mysql-support, it quits at excecution because it searches for sqlite3 (which I did not have installed). Just editing config.xml and adding the mysql-stuff is not possible at that point, as there is no config.xml yet. I had to install/deinstall sqlite3 as a workaround.
By the way, I'm testing the software with a Roku Soundbridge M2000. Principial functionality works, one thing bothers me: The soundbridge provides the possibility to have a look at the metadata of each currently playing song. When I try this together with meditomb, it fails. Is this also controllable via the scripts?
And one final question, as it pops into my mind: is there any transcoding-functionality planned (i would really appreciate this very much e.g. for flac to pcm - twonkymusic has this, but i don't get it to work there).
Thanks again and sorry for putting all this different topics in one thread,
well, actually we have a lot of catching up to do as far as documentation is concerned. We hope to offer more along with 0.9
OK, I'll add the info regarding mysqlclient-dev.
Forget the tomb-install script, it's gone. The upcoming version will handle the creation of configuration files internally, an external script is no longer needed.
Regarding Roku Soundbridge: I can't tell why the function you described is failing, if you want us to fix this I would ask you for some network captures so I can see what requests are sent to the server. However, it would only make sense to debug this issue with the current development code, since the changes to 0.8 are huge.
Transcoding is planned for both audio and video, it will probably be introduced in a release that comes after 0.9
I would really suggest that you check out the current dev code :) We are close to releasing, so the code is very usable and should be stable. I am also interested in solving the Roku issue before the upcoming release :>
Simply get the code (you will need a subversion client):
svn co https://mediatomb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mediatomb/trunk/mediatomb mediatomb
then make sure you have autoconf and automake installed, in the mediatomb directory run:
the rest is just:
If you run into largefile compilation problems (there seems to be an autotools realted bug in some Debian distros) try running configure with the --disable-fseeko-check option, or disable largefile support completely if you do not need it --disable-largefile
More info on that is in this thread:
Drop by in IRC if you need any realtime help/support.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.