Choppy Video and init.d script failure

-DK-
2005-10-31
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • -DK-

-DK- - 2005-10-31

I started working with Mediatomb on the weekend and have come accross a couple of issues. The first issue is that I can not get video to play without stuttering and becoming choppy. I have tried a number of different files and it seems that any file over about 300mb gets choppy. This is regardless of the bitrate or background processes. While monitoring processes, it appears that when a video file becomes choppy the Mediatomb process maxes out the CPU on the linux machine. I have read through almost every thread here and have not been able to solve the problem by any of the advise given so far.

I am working on an FC4 box and I will admit that I am only a user of video and know nothing of the actual inner workings of video related software/files.

Now that aside, I have done my damnedest to get the init.d scripts to fire and they just won't go for me. I get a [failed] outcome everytime I run it.

I have tried changing the username, the directories for the logs and pid file, and the command line options for running the program but I have not been successful at all. It seems that it just won't work. I can get the daemon mode to run just fine outside of the script but I really wanted it to start automatically. I will rewrite the script tonight if I can't figure out the one that is already here.

Well any help you can provide would be great.

Sincere thanks for your time and effort spent on this project; I really appreciate not having to use a windows machine to work with my DSM320.

Cheers!

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-01

Hi!

1. choppy video
      This is a DSM320 problem which can be fixed by patching the UPnP SDK.
      Please take a look at this thread, it should give you the answers: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1279907&forum_id=440750

I think Jason successfully patched his libupnp version with the redsonic headers, maybe you could ask him for this version.
      Our goal is to integrate libupnp into the mediatomb sources,  - then we could provide those special features along with the mediatomb releases.

2. the init script problem
      I assume that you installed the FC4 RPM that we provided, right? have you edited the init script to point it to the correct network interface? where have you placed the configuration file? (I would suggest using /etc/mediatomb for the init.d controlled server)
      could you paste me the error message? when doing "service mediatomb start" the debug output is written either to to /var/log/messages or /var/log/mediatomb, please take a look and paste me the error message.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

Thanks Jin for you recommendation. It seems dk has more problems than just choppy playback, maybe he need to find out if his PC is too slow or too fast for his DSM-320.

The recent DSM-320 firmware 1.06 somehow make some trouble to my Intel UPnP lib again. It is really bad the new firmware break something already good.

I find the new DSM-320 firmware will freeze up if you click STOP and ENTER in its remote control very quick during video playback.

The previous 1.05 firmware should work better. I hope DLink can fix this problem soon.

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

Okay I got the daemon to run now (didn't put the config file in the right place). However I still have the stuttering problem...

That is because I don't understand enough about packages and how to update them. I thought the ones that I downloaded were pre-patched, but if that isn't the case I'm not sure how to patch them myself.

Is there somewhere that I could read about doing that?

Cheers!

DK

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

I haven't updated my firmware yet. It is still at 1.5a (I'm in canada).

The machine that it's running on is an Athlon 2400+ (Barton core) with 768mb of ram, and a 20gig 7200 rpm main drive with a 120gig 7200 secondary drive.

I think that there is a problem with the secondary hd at this point but when I put the file to play right on the main drive the problem persists. The choppiness isn't nearly as bad but in the readout from "top" it shows that everyonce in a while all the threads (about 6 of them) go to about 8-10% cpu usage and that is when the choppiness occurs.

So I am going to move the secondary drive to it's own IDE channel to fix the transfer bottleneck that is occuring because they are on the same channel, but I need to figure out why the server is locking up on the main hd...

I have installed TVersity on my main machine (Athlon 64 3200+, 2gig RAM, 160gig 7200 RPM drive) and it plays everything fine, so I know it's something that I have done wrong on the install of the Mediatomb server.

So again, if there is anything else that I should let you know about the problem let me know.

Cheers!

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-01

Well, I do not think that the PC is the bottleneck here; just do a simple test: try to download a video from MediaTomb using wget, or firefox or whatever, it will show you the K/s ratio and you will see that it is more than is required for video playback.

Jason, you are saying that there are more problems with the new DSM320 firmware and libupnp, what are you experiencing? Allthough it will take some time until we can bring out the next MediaTomb release, we do plan to include libupnp in our source tree and patch it accordingly, so any hints and problem reports regarding libupnp and DSM320 would also be helpful.

DK, regarding the libupnp DSM320 patch - I don't have anything around.
      Jason, could you please tell us what changes you have made to the SDK? (actually a patch would be best); thanks

Greetings,
      Jin

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

Hi Jin,

My whole libupnp source code is sent to you, since I did not have patch. And you can clean it up and make it work as better as you can.

Thanks.

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

Well last night I changed my secondary hd to it's own channel as well as replaced the IDE cables for both drives. The performace of the drives was definately increased.

Now I get the same performance on the secondary drive as I get on the primary drive with mediatomb.

The problem still persists though in that for no apparent reason the multiple threads seem to spike their CPU usage and things get choppy. Mediatomb only ends up taking about 50-60% of the CPU but the playback still gets halted for a few seconds.

So if a patch to the SDK is obtainable, I would be greatful to whoever provided it.

Also I would like to take a second to thank you for your work on this project. I wasn't sure if it was still alive given the lack of forum activity, however then I realized that it probably works for most people so there is no real reason for them to post in the forums :)

Cheers!

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-01

Hi,

>The problem still persists though in that for no apparent
        >reason the multiple threads seem to spike their CPU usage
        >and things get choppy. Mediatomb only ends up taking
        >about 50-60% of the CPU but the playback still gets halted
        >for a few seconds.

well - that is exactly the problem with the headers that was discussed in the thread I pointed you to. I hope Jason can send us the patch.

>Also I would like to take a second to thank you for your work on this project.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear that people find one's work useful :)

>I wasn't sure if it was still alive given the lack of forum
        >activity, however then I realized that it probably works for
        >most people so there is no real reason for them to post in the forums :)

To be honest - we also hope that the reason for the forums being silent is the fact, that it works for most people. We always welcome feedback, no matter if positive or negative - it at least shows us that someone is "out there" using our stuff :) Another reason could be - that the userbase is probably rather small. Well - we do not know :) But I can assure you, that the project is alive and that new versions with new features will become available.

Greetings,
        Jin

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

Then it mostly means the DSM-320 require KEEP-ALIVE support.

So Jin, do you get my email with my libupnp?

And I hope you can review my changes and maybe enhance its KEEP-ALIVE support, I wonder there is still some problem with that.

In the future, I hope you can make a better UPnP lib since Intel had stopped to support its libupnp.

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

I have some feedback besides libupnp issues:
          1. 2G file size limitation
          2. Can not recognize some High Definition file format with file lib.
          3. Can not real time update file added/removed/changed

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-02

Jason,
            no I did not get your file :( I will tell you an other mail address that you could try, thanks.

> I have some feedback besides libupnp issues:
            >1. 2G file size limitation

Unfortunately this one is a libupnp issue, else we would have added >2GB file support already. That is also one of the reasons why we want to move libupnp into our tree - there are really a number of changes that have to be made there (so not only the keep-alive stuff).
            To be honest I would rather write my own UPnP library, but currently I just have no time for that; so in short term we will  try to adapt libupnp to fit our needs.

>2. Can not recognize some High Definition file format with file lib.

I will try to get some HDTV content and take a look. So you mean - when you try entering "file -i yourhdtvfile" in the shell - no useful information is printed?
            If that is the case - the problem is with filemagic (we use this library to recognize the mimetypes). Do HDTV files have special extensions? In that case you could enter extension to mimetype mappings in the config file.

>3. Can not real time update file added/removed/changed
            Yes, that is actually a quite important one. We wanted to implement it long time ago, but the application and the database layout was undergoing changes all the time. Since we wanted a clean solution we decided to wait until we sort out other problems; I hope we can bring you this feature in the next release.

Thanks for the feedback!
            Jin

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

Sorry my email to jin_eld@users.sourceforge.net is rejected because file size is over the limit. So Jin, how can I send the file to you?

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

You could try and send that to me at: fire_sailer@hotmail.com ... that should be able to take the file no problem.

Thank you so much in advance,

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-01

Jason,

do you have some temporary webspace where I could download it from? By the way, you do not have to send me the whole libupnp package, it is fully sufficient if you send me just the files that you have modified!

Thanks,
      Jin

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

I have recieved your file but I do not think that Jin has unless you resent the file to him at another address.

To be honest I'm not sure what to do with this file because I can not remember for the life of me how to role a .tar file into an RPM... I suppose the "google-matron" will tell me what I need to do there :)

I will let you know asap (in a couple of hours) if I got it to work as I won't be home before then.

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-01

Okay now I have to admit that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this package install.

I have tried doing the standard "make install" but to no avail. I get all kinds of great errors and such. Also given that I installed the RPM for this package before, I'm not sure how doing a standard install might mess up the RPM install.

So I am pleading with you here, can you please make this file into an RPM so that I can install it with all my incompetency and feel as though I have accomplished a great feat?

Thanks in advance,

DK

• jason

jason - 2005-11-01

I don't know how to make RPM or DEB, maybe wait for Jin's help.

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-02

I will private-message you my alternative e-mail addresses so you can send me the patches. I think it should not be too difficult to make an RPM for it, so we will probably have DSM320 patched version of libupnp as an RPM package.

maybe DK could test it, before I make it publically available :)

Greetings,
      Jin

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-02

I would be happy to test out the package for you :)

Also I have posted the patched package on my website for you so that you can download it.

http://www.watercoolerguy.com/jin/libupnp.tar

Let me know when you have the package and I'll remove the file from my site :)

Cheers!

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-02

Hi,

thanks for the link, I have also received the mail from Jason, so I have the file now. Unfortunately I can not look at it right now (too much work at the moment), but I will give it some attention in the next 2-3 days, so let's hope that we can bringt out a package until saturday or so.

Greetings,
      Jin

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-02

Glad that you have the file. I can understand how busy life can get.

I appreciate any work that you can get done on this for us.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do in the mean time, which a basic user can complete ;)

Cheers!

DK

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-03

well, you could try one thing - take Jasons tar and try to install the SDK manually. The steps for the installation are described in our README file... just make sure you first uninstall the rpm so you won't have any conflicts.

I estimate that I will look at the DSM320 patch on friday or saturday.

good luck!
      Jin

• -DK-

-DK- - 2005-11-03

I will give that a shot and see how it goes. I suppose that it isn't working now, so I don't have to worry about breaking anything.

• Jin

Jin - 2005-11-03

I'm coding some stuff for my university class so despite the nightly time I will stay around for a couple of hours, if you run into problems you can drop by in IRC, on irc.freenode.net, channel #mediatomb

good luck,
      Jin

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)