Aspect ratio 16:9 problem

2005-07-27
2013-05-30
  • Torsten Schlabach

Hi,

first of all: Congratulations to this excellent piece of software.

I bought a DSM-320 some time ago. The worst software was the Windows software that came with the box. Then I tried TVersity (again, Windows) which worked much better, is free but not open source and not yet really finished in my view. (Adding a file is somewhat inpractical.)

So mediatomb is the best free, open and linux project I found so far. And it works for me so far.

I just have some little problem. (Interesting enough, TVersity has the same.)

I have a 4:3 TV set connected to my DSM-320 and I put the DSM 320 in Letter Box mode. This means that if I play a 16:9 file, I should see black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. This works fine with the original DSM-320 Windows software.

Playing a 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG file with mediatomb the file gets vertically stretched to the full heigth of the physical screen thus causing anyone starring in the movie to appear as an egghead.

Is this a known issue? Is it in fact an issue with the media server at all? I would guess so as the original one gets it right.

But I have not yet fully understood the distribution of work between the DSM-320 box and the media server.

Regards,
    Torsten

• Jin

Jin - 2005-07-27

Hi!

> first of all: Congratulations to this excellent piece of software.

Thanks, always nice to hear that people find something that you do useful :)

>Playing a 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG file with mediatomb the file gets vertically stretched to the full heigth of the physical >screen thus causing anyone starring in the movie to appear as an egghead.
      >Is this a known issue? Is it in fact an issue with the media >server at all? I would guess so as the original one gets it right.

No, that issue is not known...

To answer your second question: it is not part of the UPnP spec, so normally the server has nothing to do with it.
      However, as we seen with the DSM-320 there are some, let's call them "non-standard" extensions, which cause troubles with 3rd party servers. For example the hiccup problem with AVI files that was addressed in the other thread.

So my assumtion is that the DSM looks for some information somewhere to figure out the aspect ratio.. I will take a look at the DIDL XML to see if there is anything there.. if yes we can make a fix for the DSM-320 in MediaTomb. However, if it is something on the lower level (HTTP) we can not do much on the server side - because that is handled by the Intel UPnP SDK.

Btw, Wycc, if you read this: a hint from your side, regarding aspect-ratio is highly appreciated :)

>But I have not yet fully understood the distribution of work between the DSM-320 box and the media server.

Well, that is defined by the UPnP protocol. The idea is that all those servers and renderer boxes are compatible to each other, but in practice companies tend to implement their own "extra" stuff. The most solid product that handles the default UPnP protocol very well but also has some vendor extensions in addition is in my opinion the Streamium. That is also the device I test the server with, so that is probably the reason why I seldom encounter those "special" cases.

So let's see... as promised I will take a look, maybe I can find something regarding the aspect ratio.

Kind regards,
      Jin