My transcoding experience.

margeas
2008-02-05
2013-05-30
  • margeas

    margeas - 2008-02-05

    Hello here,
    I've just happily tested the transcoding feature of MediaTomb, and all seems ok: my previous not supported videos are now transcoded trough ffmpeg and are playable(I have to say that the model of fill the FIFO and then the buffer of mediatomb is *really* flexible).
    I have a small problem though: my media player is a Buffalo LinkTheater™ Wireless A&G Network Media Player.It does support xvid codec, but for example divx it does not.
    The problem is that sometimes I found files .avi encoded with divx codec,and my player can't play them: so the transcoding thing would come in help in this case but the problem is that the avi container could be a divx encoded file as well as an xvid file and I can declare only one <transcode> tag for each mimetype="video/x-msvideo".
    So an helpful function in this case could the possibility to set -in the details of a file under the UI- an extra field named e.g. "transcode script" that if set to a script name, the relative video will be transcoded.
    Anyway this is a great piece of software, by far the only upnp media server that is fully compatible with my Buffalo LinkTheater™ Wireless A&G http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/multimedia/linktheater-ag/linktheater-wireless-ag-network-media-player/.
    I have tried a small part of the features, but until now all seems to work.
    Thank you for this nice piece of software.
    bye

     
    • Jin

      Jin - 2008-02-06

      Hi,

      thanks for your feedback!

      Regarding .AVI stuff - I am thinking about adding an extra feature that would look at the fourcc strings, this way you could apply transcoding settings to an .avi depending on the fourcc.

      Kind regards,
      Jin

       
    • Clint Silvester

      Clint Silvester - 2008-02-13

      If you were looking into this, could you also do a check in the xvid files for whether they contain QPEL or whatever it is that the PS3 can't play? Maybe if you can execute some shell scripts in import.js or something?

       
    • Jin

      Jin - 2008-02-13

      Well, there has indeed been some discussion about this in IRC, one of the users tried to figure out if he can get the QPEL stuff via the ffmpeg library, but so far we were not successfull.

      If you can figure out how to retrieve that data (either with the use of ffmpeg libraries or by sample native code, or point me to a resource where it is explained how to get that info) - I will add it, but right now I do not have time to dig into this myself any further. We'll be releaseing very soon :>

       
    • Clint Silvester

      Clint Silvester - 2008-02-14

      I only know of tcprobe -i filename.avi that shows if an xvid has qpel and gmc (which I think are the only things that PS3 has a problem with).

       
    • Clint Silvester

      Clint Silvester - 2008-02-14

      tcprobe is from the transcode package, btw.  Sorry, didn't explain that.

       
    • Jin

      Jin - 2008-02-15

      I installed transcode and tried the tcprobe utility, I do not see any qpel and gmc information, can you paste your output? What version did you try?

      Also, I looked at the source code and could not really see anything useful in the probe_info struct. Are you sure that this tool delivers what we want?

      Thanks,
      Jin

       
    • Clint Silvester

      Clint Silvester - 2008-02-15

      Sorry, I'm giving you false info.  I was going by memory, but what I really did was get it from the command-line verion of Mediainfo. http://mediainfo.sf.net
      Sorry again. I'm pretty sure it's if the QPEL or GMC options are set, then it won't play on PS3 and should be transcoded.

       
    • Clint Silvester

      Clint Silvester - 2008-02-15

      Looks like if it uses a custom matrix, it won't work, too. The line from the output of mediainfo says:
      "Codec settings/Matri : Custom"
      I think.

       
    • Jin

      Jin - 2008-02-18

      One of the guys on IRC had a look at the mediainfo sources and said that it was not an easy thing... we are not sure, but it seems that the stream needs to be processed in order to find specific information; this would of course take too much time and thus significantly slow down the import process.

      I'll have another look at mediainfo myself, I guess I will just contact them and ask for some help or at least an explanation because I have no clue about codecs and stuff like that.

      Kind regards,
      Jin

       

Log in to post a comment.