Maxtor Shared Storage II NAS?

chileboy
2007-11-20
2013-05-30
  • chileboy

chileboy - 2007-11-20

The MediaTomb site says to e-mail "contact@" to see if there is a port for a specific NAS - I did so several days ago, but have not heard back, so I thought I would try here.

Is there a port for the Maxtor Shared Storage II (500GB)?  If so, what would be involved in installing it?  I don't have a Linux installation, but I'd give it whirl if I had to.

Thanks,

- Mark

• Jin

Jin - 2007-11-20

I guess we should add this to the homepage, packages are indeed available via NSLU2-Linux, however they are in the unstable branch and some digging is needed to find them.

The packages and all dependencies can be found here:
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mss/cross/unstable/

And here is a useful forum post which says that MediaTomb works nicely on the MSS
      http://openmss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=844&p=4027

Pleas let us know how it worked out :>

Kind regards,
      Jin

• chileboy

chileboy - 2007-11-21

Thanks very much for the quick response!

This is good - but I know nothing about Linux...I went to the OpenMSS forum you referenced and found some detailed instructions for the MSS, but of course they assume you 1) have a Linux installation, and 2) know how to use it.

So I need to backtrack considerably, install and get familiar with the proper flavor of Linux, or find someone who can do it for me.

I was also thinking of just selling the Maxtor and buying an Iomega or eXcito...I've been in IT for over 20 years, done plenty of programming, etc., but I've done everything in the Windows world (well, and DOS before that).  I guess I'm getting old...not sure I'm up to the task of learning everything I would need, just to do this.

But I do want MediaTomb!!

Hence my dilemma!  :)

Best,

- Mark

• Jin

Jin - 2007-11-21

Hmm, so you can not use the binary packages I pointed you to? Well, I am not sure how the MSS installation goes, its possible that you have to replace the image, but I still thought that this would be doable without actually having a linux PC... well, just assumptions.

I think the learning thing is less the matter of age, if you are interested in this - you will figure it out :) If I were you I would give it a try, especially because you have a programming background - I think you would figure things out rather quickly. And then there is the danger that you like it, and never go back to Windows ;)

Anyway... it's of course very nice to hear that you would even consider buying a new device just to be able to run MediaTomb!

The 1TB unit from Iomega is quite OK, but of course the firmware is not customizable. That's what I find so nice about Bubba - it's completely open, running a "normal" Debian distro with tons of precompiled packages at your disposal.

You could of course drop a feature request to Maxtor ;> And I'll also write them and ask if they are interested in a MediaTomb addon for their unit.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• chileboy

chileboy - 2007-11-23

Well, I posted to the OpenMSS to see if it is possible to load the binaries without a linux installation - we shall see.

Otherwise, I may just might have to try out linux...

>>"And then there is the danger that you like it, and never go back to Windows ;)"

I guess I may have to take that chance!  :)

I'm also not sure if the method described in the thread over there will work with my Maxtor - they are all referring to the MSS I, and I have a MSS II.  Hopefully the same, though.

Understood about the Iomega vs. the Bubba.

>> "Anyway... it's of course very nice to hear that you would even consider buying a new device just to be able to run MediaTomb!"

I have been looking a long time for something that does what MediaTomb does...it really does look awesome.

>>"You could of course drop a feature request to Maxtor ;> And I'll also write them and ask if they are interested in a MediaTomb addon for their unit."

Actually, I have written them more than one e-mail in the past...they may remember me ;)

If you could get them to add MediaTomb support, well, that would just be unbelivably cool.

Best,

- Mark

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks