Seamless jpeg resize

2007-12-06
2013-05-30
  • Wesley Morgan

Wesley Morgan - 2007-12-06

Is it possible to use the transcoding to do automatic jpeg resizing? I tried this, but it didn't work at all:

<transcoding enabled="yes">
        <mappings>
          <mimetype-profile>
            <transcode mimetype="image/jpeg" using="jpeg-resize"/>
          </mimetype-profile>
        </mappings>
        <profiles>
          <profile name="jpeg-resize" enabled="yes" type="external">
            <mimetype>image/jpeg</mimetype>
            <accept-url>no</accept-url>
            <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
            <agent command="/usr/local/bin/convert -geometry 1920x1080" arguments="%in %out"/>
            <buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="131072" fill-size="262144"/>
          </profile>
        </profiles>
      </transcoding>

However, I find that some of the options for the transcoding aren't very well documented and I'm not sure how they work. I don't even think the command is being called, as substituting a little shell script that echoes some debug output to a file showed nothing.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-12-06

So far transcoding settings are only documented in the readme.lyx file in the doc directory.

You almost had it right, you just put command and arguments together, try the following:
              <profile name="jpeg" enabled="yes" type="external">
                  <mimetype>image/jpeg</mimetype>
                  <agent command="convert" arguments="-geometry 1920x1080 %in %out"/>
                  <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
                  <hide-original-resource>yes</hide-original-resource>
                  <buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="2072" fill-size="262144"/>
              </profile>

Usually you would want to pass the resolution values to the renderer, this can be done with the <resolution> tag in the profile: i.e. <resolution>1920x1080</resolution>, howerver there is one problem: convert will scale the image proportionally, that means that the resulting image will not necessarily have the exact specified dimensions. I am not sure how to work around that; but one solution would be to not specify the resolution and hide the original resource (like in the example above)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks