DSM-320: Media not supported

2007-01-31
2013-05-30
  • Steve Donegan

Steve Donegan - 2007-01-31

I get the media not supported pop-up on every file I have tried via the current (SVN check out
    1/31/2007) media tomb and current (updated yesterday) DSM-320 firmware. The same content files
    play without any issue via the DLINK media server. What bits of magic can make this work? The
    specific files in question are XviD ripped (at 3000 kbits/sec) files. file -i filename gives me a proper video/mp4 mime type. config.xml was untouched except for ui set to yes, and port and ip defined.

Any suggestions welcome - I really want to not have to use Windows for anything at home :-)

Mediatomb is installed under Fedora Core 6 with updates current as of this AM.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-01-31

Hmm, maybe the DSM-320 does not like the video/mp4 mimetype and expects something like video/x-msvideo ?
      It's just a thought, but worth trying. Go to the web UI, find your XviD item and hit the "Edit" icon, then change
      the mimetype to video/x-msvideo, try playing this modified file from the DSM - did it help?

If yes, you could add appropriate file-extension to mimetype-mappings in config.xml

If you want to be 100% sure you could make a network capture using wireshark or tcpdump:
      start d-link server
      start the dsm-320
      start playback of the file that does not work correctly with MediaTomb
      let it run for 1-2 secs and stop the capture

Then either e-mail me the file or look through it yourself :) I'm sure we can fix this.

Greetings,
      Jin

• Torsten Schlabach

Did this work for you before?

• Steve Donegan

I did the ethereal/wireshark thing a while back :-) The magic (working via dlink server) mime type was mp4v-es - I tried that in the file extension/mime type area in config.xml and no joy. However since it was not an unrecognized type (ie file -i returns valid info) that over-ride may not be taking effect...

Whatever ends up working I will capture and document extremely clearly i.e. exactly how I rip the DVD's, what settings are used, and the config.xml and any other mods to mediatomb required. After I get the DSM-320 working I'll do the same with the Boss's HDTV DSM model and my Momitsu unit...

• Steve Donegan

Mediatomb has never worked for me - never is relative - I tried the 0.8.? release a week ago, did the wireshark capture, got busy and today did the fresh SVN install to re-attempt to get this to work. I am now on vacation and will work on this non-stop as long as anyone has any ideas to try :-)

Thanks!

• Steve Donegan

config.xml from my server FYI:

[root@wopr .mediatomb]# cat *.xml
      <config>
        <server>
          <ui enabled="yes"/>
          <ip>192.168.1.2</ip>
          <port>50555</port>
          <name>WOPR</name>
          <udn>uuid:3689c2f4-400f-4e21-946a-51ece1583363</udn>
          <home>/root/.mediatomb</home>
          <webroot>/usr/local/share/mediatomb/web</webroot>
          <storage driver="sqlite3">
            <database-file>sqlite3.db</database-file>
          </storage>
        </server>
        <import>
          <filesystem-charset>ISO-8859-1</filesystem-charset>
          <script>/usr/local/share/mediatomb/js/import.js</script>
          <mappings>
            <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
              <map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
              <map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
              <map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
              <map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
              <map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
              <map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
              <map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
              <map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
              <map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
              <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
              <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
            </extension-mimetype>
            <mimetype-upnpclass>
              <map from="audio/*" to="object.item.audioItem"/>
              <map from="application/ogg" to="object.item.audioItem"/>
              <map from="video/*" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
              <map from="image/*" to="object.item.imageItem"/>
            </mimetype-upnpclass>
          </mappings>
          <library-options>
            <libexif>
              <auxdata>
                <add tag="EXIF_TAG_MODEL"/>
              </auxdata>
            </libexif>
          </library-options>
        </import>
      </config>
      [root@wopr .mediatomb]#

• Jin

Jin - 2007-01-31

note, that you have to reimport the media, i.e. delete and add it again, if you want the mapping in config.xml to get triggered.

Have you tried setting the mp4v-es mimetype that you described via the UI and see if this particular item plays?

Drop by in our IRC channel if you need some realtime help.

• Steve Donegan

UI does not seem to allow me to do anything except add or delete entries. And what is the path to the IRC - as I am interested in working this as real-time as possible - IM would also be a possibility.

• Jin

Jin - 2007-01-31

Uhm.. aren't you seeing the icons on the right side, in the same line as the item name? You should see the edit icon (looks like the usual gnome one - piece of paper with a pen), it should allow you to change various item properties.

we are on chat.freenode.net, channel #mediatomb

• StephanV

StephanV - 2007-09-24

Similar issue here, but when I did a MediaTomb install on a nearly clean Ubuntu box (7.04), it started playing MP4s without the "Unsupported" message.

Is there anything I can provide that would help (sorry, noob here)?

• Jin

Jin - 2007-09-24

sverm, so your clean Ubuntu install works fine, but a different one does not? Or what exactly is the problem?

• StephanV

StephanV - 2007-09-25

Something like that -- But I think I got things a bit confused when I stumbled across some AVIs that worked.  I might have gotten a bit excited prematurely.  ;-)

What I thought might have been an MP4 was in fact a working AVI, and that's why I thought MP4s were working on my clean Ubuntu.  In fact MP4 still seem to be causing issues, but that's a known problem with the DSM320 that you've already noticed.

I'll keep quiet until I have something of value to add ;-)

Great work, by the way on MT!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks