setting up video catagories via Containers?

2007-10-19
2013-05-30
  • andy burnette

andy burnette - 2007-10-19

Hi all, cool package.

Using mysql, under "database/Video" I set up containers like "Action Movies" "comedy" etc.

In the browser under videos where all videos are listed, the URL looks something like:
    http://172.30.0.201:49152/content/media/object_id=3807&res_id=0  (which plays just fine)

Using the browser, I copied the content/media/object_id=3807&res_id=0 into an "internal link" inside "comedy"

The URL of the "internal URL" inside the "comedy" container appears as:
    http://172.30.0.201:49152/content/serve/content/media/object_id=3807&res_id=0

which comes back as a "404 not found"

Any suggestions on how to correct? 

Thanks,
    andy

• Jin

Jin - 2007-10-19

Hi,

I think you got it wrong, the idea of internal links is to provide a direct access to data on your filesystem; just think of Apache when it serves the directory listing. While we do not create any listings, the idea is the same - you define a "serve" directory in the config.xml and everything below that can be accessed directy: i.e. if you put myfile.avi in a subdirectory under serve/comedy/myfile.avi you can access it via http://172.30.0.201:49152/content/serve/comedy/myfile.avi In the web UI you would only specify /comedy/myfile.avi in the location field of the internal link item.

To be honest, I am anyway not quite sure of what you want to achieve with the actions above. If you want to sort your vieos according to genre/etc. you have two options:

Find a tagger that will write useful metadata into the .avi files (I failed to find such a thing for linux), then compile MediaTomb with ffmpeg or with libextractor support, those libs should be able to extract the additional metadata. Then you could adapt the import script (look at how it is done for mp3 files) to sort your videos accordingly.

The second option: if your videos are already organized in a useful way on your filesystem, you could adapt the import script to create some sort of a custom pc-directory view for your videos. If your paths are always constant, like - "/movies/genre_name/movie_name/" i.e. if level 2 in this example is always the name of the genre, you could split the path in the import script and use the appropriate directory names as tags to sort the movies.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• andy burnette

andy burnette - 2007-10-19

Thanks for the quick reply Jin,

Yes, both suggestions make sense, although I might try the second idea first.

It would be a useful feature request (IMHO) to be able to catagorize in such a manner. From my attempt, the only error seems to be the extra "/serve/" in the path of the video.

Navigating past 5 years of a sci-fi series to get to what the wife would like to see on my dlink isn't my idea of fun :-)  Thus, if I can put movies and tv shows into genre etc, that's a great thing.

I'll return the favor and document any successes I have in doing so. I'm sure there are folks out there with large video collections as well as music.

Cheers,
      andy

• Jin

Jin - 2007-10-19

Hi,

should be even easier for series, since they are usually named in a very consistent manner in a "Name Seasons Episode" style, so you could parse the filename and use the data from the filename to create your virtual layout.

I would surely be interested to see your script once it works :)

Kind regards,
      Jin