Menu

Mayan Language Code 'myn' not being recognised

Help
2018-11-28
2018-11-30
  • Paul Littlefield

I have set metadata 'myn' in an MP4 file using ffmpeg for the movie 'Apocalypto' which is in the Mayan foreign language.

https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/myn

However, mediainfo does not display 'Mayan Languages' in the output for the file.

• Jerome Martinez

Jerome Martinez - 2018-11-28

We "translate" ISO 639-1 languages, in both 2-letter or 3-letter forms, to their repective names.
    ISO 639-2 specific languages are not supported, even less ISO 639-3.

In my opinion the are a big drawback if we add the complete list of languages: the size of the program would increase a lot. it is not worth it for 99.99% of users.

If there is an interest, it could be doable to add a "module" with more languages, some work, contact us if you are interested in sponsoring such feature,
    as a quick hack, it is possible to manually edit the Language file (laugnages names begin with "Language_"), and with CLI mediainfo --language=file://en.csv FileName for using the customized language file.

• Paul Littlefield

Thanks for your quick reply, and I shall try that quick hack with the language file later :-)

This enquiry all stems from my Plex Media Server with its handling of foreign language audio in movie files and the automatic selection of subtitles.

I am just being fussy I think, wanting the app on the TV to show the words 'Mayan' as the audio language, hence my request here, because I always check the video file with mediainfo before it goes in to Plex.

Now I think about it, I guess this is really a request from Plex rather than mediainfo, but it's an interesting one!

I could even edit the MP4 metadata and change it to the whole word 'Mayan' I guess, and this would then show up on the Plex TV app.

:-)

Regards,

Paul

Last edit: Paul Littlefield 2018-11-30