Bug on font size with decimal separator

Aldemar
2012-10-14
2013-04-09
  • Aldemar

Aldemar - 2012-10-14

I noticed that MathCast uses the information set on "regional Settings" control panel, to define which symbol of decimal separator will be used on XML files.
    The problem with this approach is: in some countries (like mine, Brazil), the symbol used for decimal separator is not dot; instead, we use here comma.

As a result, if we select a font size of 1, 2 or 3, the application will show the characters changing in size perfectly, and the XML output wil work fine. But, if I set the font size to 1.5, 2.2 and so on, not only the characters won't reflect this size changing, but also the XML output file will not render correct in any browser that supports this language (i.e., Firefox).
    If you edit the XML file produced by the application, you will find the reason: the tag <mstyle mathsize> has a value with comma (i.e 1,5 , 2,2), which is not recognized by the interpreter inside the browser.

You should modify the application, forcing it to always use dot as a decimal separator, when setting font size

The use of regional settings may be useful for some applications, like Excel, where we have do to math operations using the user's regional characters, but is totally useless/not recomended in this kind of application.

• Tom Chekam

Tom Chekam - 2012-10-15

Thank you very much for your detailed report. I didn't know that this could happen. It is a very interesting behavior that the c++ functions take into account localization when transforming numbers.

I will make sure that this bug will not be in the next version. You probably figured out some workarounds.

Thanks again,
    Tom

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks