jackie hayes - 2013-04-07

Just a couple things I thought I'd share, because they caused me needless grief.

I tried at first to use msys, but that experiment ended quickly. I installed cygwin (1.7.17-1, fresh install), added all the development tools. I unpacked ATLAS and the Windows architectural defaults, then added a MinGW64.dat file (to be sure the build used the correct MinGW64 compilers).

Two major problems. First, I was having 'file not found' issues with paths that had a double slash following double dots (paths like /cygdrive/c/Users/../atlas//atlas_build). I read that there are problems with this, though only when the ".." comes at the beginning of the path. To be sure, I used absolute paths for everything.

Second, I had a lot of issues with permissions. xconfig apparently wasn't able to read something (I saw multiple lines of "Access is denied" after starting the configure script). I found the following link dealing with cygwin permissions under Windows 8:

http://www.vineetgupta.com/2012/12/cygwin-permissions-bug-on-windows-8/

I used the fix described there, and things seemed to work (mostly). I had to recreate/touch all the files first, but then things sailed along. It seems best to fix this issue first, before setting up the directories, etc.

Finally, one minor issue -- since there is no /proc/cpuinfo for Windows, I wasn't sure how to find information about physical vs logical cores. I ran across MS's coreinfo command line tool, here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722.aspx

Just run it from the command line, easy peasy, you get a mapping of logical cores to physical cores, which allows you to specify the --force-tids flag.

Just in case someone else is running into the same roadblocks. After all this, the install worked most of the way. At first, I thought there was only a problem with the creation of shared libraries -- not ideal, but no big deal. Today I realized that the full LAPACK didn't install (despite using the --with-netlib-lapack-tarfile flag). Not sure why. The BLAS routines work, and the ATLAS LAPACK routines are in there, too. But the DGEEV routine is nowhere to be found. I may try to figure this out later, or just install LAPACK separately.