SelectCycle

Help
2012-01-19
2015-08-28
  • Maurizio De Pitta'

Dear all,
    I need to start start the continuation of periodic orbits from curves computed by time integration.
    In my system I first compute with stringent Abs and Rel tolerance values a periodic solution, and then I use the "SelectCycle" button in the Starter window.

In the Matcont window at this point, the curve type changes from P_O to LC_LC and in the Starter window again I select two parameters, typically my bifurcation parameter and the Period. Then in the dialog box that appears where I am asked what tolerance I want to locate the cycle, I tried to use both teh default value (i.e. 1e-2) or more stringent tolerances (i.e. 1e-6).

In both cases though the continuation fails because there is "No convergence in x0".

How can I be sure that I get convergence in x0 and thus start the continuation?
    My time solution, was computed in a time interval of 100s with stable oscillations with typical period of 1s and RelTol and AbsTol around 1e-8.

Thank you in advance. Any help will be appreciated.
    Looking forward your advices.

Best,
    Maurizio

• Henry Mattingly

Henry Mattingly - 2015-08-28

Sorry to get to you so late Maurizio. I had the problem of "No convergence in x0." once before when it wasn't clear how that could be.

It turns out that if the Jacobian of your system contains a zero eigenvalue (such as in the case of chemical kinetics when there is a conservation law, making one of your species linearly dependent on the others), then you cannot do continuation and you will get this error. If your system has a state variable that is linearly dependent on the others and can be eliminated, that might take care of the problem.

Henry

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks