Menu

multi-harmonic functions

yanders
2021-07-30
2021-09-14
  • yanders

yanders - 2021-07-30

Dear matcont community,

According to the "Frequency response of nonlinear oscillator" written by Prof. Hilmeijer, I can easily draw the amplitude-frequency response curve, but the problem now is that the force is "γcos(ωt)+γsin(2ωt)". I don't know if the method is correct? i.e., u′ = −ωv + u(1 − u² − v²), v′ = ωu + v(1 − u² − v²); u1′ = −2ωv1 + u1(1 − u1² − v1²), v1′ = 2ωu1 + v1(1 − u1² − v1²)?
    However, as I wrote it, the result cannot be continued and displays "Current step size too small (point 1)". I don't know where the problem comes from? Can you give me some advice?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Best regards,
    Yanders

Last edit: yanders 2021-08-01
    • hilmeijer

hilmeijer - 2021-08-27

I would use the double-angle formulas as follows.
      You already added u,v to model a single oscillator.
      Let u=cos(t), v=sin(t), then, in the code defining your model, you can use
      cos(2wt)=uu-vv
      and
      sin(2wt)=u*v/2
      You can extend this approach to harmonics of higher order.
      Best regards, Hil

Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 4:50 PM
      To: [matcont:discussion]
      Subject: [matcont:discussion] multi-harmonic functions

Dear matcont community,

According to the "Frequency response of nonlinear oscillator" written by Prof. Hilmeijer, I can easily draw the amplitude-frequency response curve, but the problem now is that the force is "γcos(ωt)+γcos(2ωt)". I don't know if the method I wrote in the attachment is correct? i.e., u′ = −ωv + u(1 − u² − v²), v′ = ωu + v(1 − u² − v²); u1′ = −2ωv1 + u1(1 − u1² − v1²), v1′ = 2ωu1 + v1(1 − u1² − v1²)?
      However, as I wrote it, the result cannot be continued and displays "Current step size too small (point 1)". I don't know where the problem comes from? Can you give me some advice?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Best regards,
      Yangders

multi-harmonic functions

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/matcont/discussion/762214/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• yanders

yanders - 2021-09-14

Dear Hil
        You are right. For special functions, double-angle formulas can indeed be used, but for example,"γcos(ωt)+γcos(1.1ω*t)", the double-angle formulas is no longer applicable. So what should we do by MATCONT?

Best regards
        yanders

• yanders

yanders - 2021-09-03

Last edit: yanders 2021-09-14