Menu

How do we get Frequency Response Function (FRF) of duffing and van der pol oscillators in Matcont ?

Sibi vivek
2020-08-08
2020-08-26
  • Sibi vivek

Sibi vivek - 2020-08-08

I have to plot the frequency vs amplitude curve for duffing and van der pol oscillators. how should formulate the standard equations of motions?

Duffing equation

mx"+cx'+kx+alpha x^3 = f cos (wt)

i have converted this equation to two first order DE's and solved for transient response.

x' = y
    x"= y' = f cos (wt) - kx - cy - alpha x^3

How could i get the steady state response for this equation using MatCont

can anyone give step by step procedure?

thanks in advance

Last edit: Sibi vivek 2020-08-08
  • lanast

lanast - 2020-08-12

Your differential equation seems to be non-autonomous, since the oscillator is driven and there is an explicit dependance by the time, at the cosinus phase term "wt". One approach is to treat the phase as an additional variable φ, which has a first derivative of w:

x' = y
    x"= y' = f cos (φ) - kx - cy - alpha x^3
    φ’=w

Now the equations are transformed in the autonomous form, however this method needs some care: the phase variable will continuously increase and therefore achieving periodic motion with this convention will be problematic, so consult the literature before (books of Nayfeh, Hagedorn, Guckenheimer & Holmes, Khali and many others). There are other methods as well, and also analytical approximations if am not wrong.
    You can anyway start with the free system (without external forces) and gain a first understading of the system features. Good luck

Last edit: lanast 2020-08-12
  • lanast

lanast - 2020-08-12

I have not worked with these kind of equations, therefore I suggest you refer to the most recent MatCont manual of the developers, it is very comprehensive. Best wishes