Working .wav file.

Help
Anonymous
2011-12-06
2016-06-23
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-06

Hi.
    I try to record a card to wav file then recognize in magstripper but no luck.
    Someone can send me a working wav file ?
    Thanx !

• magstripper

magstripper - 2011-12-06

I cant find one on hand but if you want to provide the wav i can take a look at it. Here is a screenshot of what a normal wav would look like in audacity.

http://imgur.com/YyUje

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-15

How to remove noise and left what exactly need for magstripper ?
    Here some of my wav file http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/6g1dlceu/_016.png

• magstripper

magstripper - 2011-12-15

Two things

Zoom in more in the time axis so i can begin to see the peaks. (where the data is actually swiped)

And the second point is: since the recorded audio hits 100% volume and is clipped, likely causing it to be un recoverable (at least in magstripper). I am betting that during recording microphone boost was enabled or some other excessive amplification.

When you press record without swiping anything you shouldnt see the noise approach 10% of the maximum level, and when you swipe the data it shouldnt peak above 80% of the max level or so to avoid clipping.

can you re-record the swipe?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-15

I get a pcm file than  import in audacity. 
    My wav http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/screenshot062f.jpg/
    i can send to you a pcm file for closer look.

• magstripper

magstripper - 2011-12-16

sure send it to magstripper__at__users.sourceforge.net

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-17

i send to your email titled PCM files.

• magstripper

magstripper - 2011-12-19

I took a look but I don't see how anyone could recover any FSK data from those audio tracks. First I'm confused why they are stereo, since a mag head recording should be in mono. But as I look at the start of each swipe, the audio levels almost immediately jump up to 100% max volume. That combined with it simply not looking like FSK data. When i look at the transitions between positive and negative they aren't clean, often jumping back and forth along the 0 axis.

It looks to me like there is microphone boost enabled causing these recordings to basically become a bunch of noise. FSK is not hard to decode by hand, so I can show you what to look for but again I don't think it is possible to recover anything from those tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-shift_keying

Open up the picture i linked earlier in this thread. Both 0's and 1's should take the same amount of audio time to read, meaning on the X axis they should take the same amount of space. "0"s are encoded by a peak, pause, and another peak (the signage of the peaks does not matter, due to magnetism the peaks are always alternate). A "1" will be encoded with an extra peak, it will look like peak-peak-peak (no pause, or rather less of a pause). Technically the first peak is the last peak of the last digit, so when reading 0's and 1's continuously a 0 will only have one peak, and a 1 will have two.

Back to my example the swipe starts with a bunch of 0's, but on the right side you can see two "1"s encoded. Notice the peaks closer together, and an extra peak in the same amount of time.

But again looking at your files I can not see a clear FSK signal to even decode manually.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-19

Thanks for help and useful application. I solved problem, In my records too much mic gain.

• sofy

sofy - 2016-06-23

hello friends someone I could help use magstripper, just leave me the binaries and do not have a decoding, not how to level thresholds microphone and not as clear momentum microphone, fabor help me to how to level magstripper and learn to use it correctly, I am using audacity to edit the audio .. if someone can help me thank you very much .. sofy