#7 nothing is displayed

open
nobody
None
5
2004-02-19
2004-02-19
Anonymous
No

I am having a similar problem to one of the other people
who posted. Pretty much, magpie does not parse the
information and my webpage doesn't show any output.
I tried the suggested remedies of define
(MAGPIE_USE_GZIP, 0), and i even updated my snoopy
include file. problem is that nothing is still displayed.

I am currently using mandrake linux 9.2 with apache 2,
php4 and webmin. I used the default install path
of /var/www/html and I gave write permissions to the
cache directory that magpie can write to. I'm also using
the default write to cache location ./cache.

Any help would be very appreciated; this problem is
driving me crazy. I can get windows to work with it
correctly, but not linux

Discussion

  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    sorry for the double post. The page kept showing me an old
    version of the forum despite the fact that I deleted my
    cache.

     
  • Kellan Elliott-McCrea

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=22657

    hi nobody,

    can't really help you without more details including:

    * which version of magpie
    * the URL of an RSS feed which is causing the problem
    * a way to contact you.

    also what happens when you set,
    error_reporting = E_ALL

     
  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    alright. I am using magpie .52. I have tried slashdot,
    gamasutra, arstechnica, and newsisfree. None of them have
    given me back any info. However, I have verified the
    accuratcy of the URL, that my ip is not blocked, etcc....its
    something I am not doing. Unfortunatly, I am new to linux,
    but I wish to understand it better. I can't always depend on
    windows ;P Anyway, I check the cache folder, it is empty. I'll
    try and set error reporting to E_ALL. At least I'll try. Not sure
    if you mean for PHP or magpie, but I'll check both. You may
    contact me at mayor_slick@hotmail.com, and call me Joe

     
  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    update: my php.ini file is configured to report any errors.
    Currently, it does not report any errors when I use get the
    RSS feed. it simply doesn't output anything. As far as I can
    tell, my function works up to the point where I say, Foreach
    ($rss as $item)....and that is where it cuts out. THis code
    worked before with Apache, php4 and windows, so I don't know
    why it wouldn't work with apache, php4 and linux.

     
  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    Final update for today: I tried various tricks to see how
    magpie would respond. Through the trouble shooting, I turned
    off the cache, downloaded MP 0.52 again, updated the
    snoopy.inc file. I wrote a small program to deal with a single
    URL. I then had it print out all the different data (title, link,
    etc...) My print outs show the the text (EG: Links:) but not
    the actual URL title, etc. they are essentially empty. So then
    I thought that my Php has XML disabled, but according to
    PHPinfo, it accepts XML. Zlib is also enabled, so i don't think
    its a zip file problem. I hope this is more than enough info to
    get this problem fixed. Thanks.

     
  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    Well, its nice to know that nobody has a clue on how to fix
    this problem. I get the impression that Magpie rss should be
    fairly easy to work with(and it is). However, nobody has any
    idea why in Mandrake 9.2 with their packaged software
    (apache, mysql, php), it will not grab rss feeds for me.
    Anyway, thanks for the one unhelpful response.

     
  • Kellan Elliott-McCrea

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=22657

    Don't growl at me, you've given me nothing I could work
    with. I don't have a Mandrake box to test with, but no, I
    can't think of any reason why Magpie shouldn't work under
    the circumstances you've outlined.

    One other thing you could try would be turning off the HTTP
    error suppression. In the function _fetch_remote_file
    remove the '@' from the call $client->fetch().

    Other then that, I've got no insights, sorry. Its worked on
    every platform I've tested it on (Debian Linux, OSX, Windows)

     

Log in to post a comment.