From: Pavel Roskin <proski@gn...> - 2008-08-04 02:47:09
This was discussed privately, but needs to be posted to madwifi-devel.
I'm not going to include ath_info in MadWifi 0.9.4.1, unless I hear
convincing arguments that it needs to be included.
The reasons are following:
1) It has become clear that ath_info makes incorrect assumptions about
EEPROM layout for some devices. Combined with write support, it can
lead to users damaging their hardware.
2) If we need to ask someone for ath_info output, we would want the
current code to be used, not the one distributed with the driver.
3) ath_info is logically separate from the driver. It works with the
card directly by the I/O address, not with an interface. ath_info
doesn't need MadWifi and MadWifi doesn't need ath_info.
4) The current ath_info is too wordy because it's a product of merging
code from different branches, each of which added some information. The
output needs to be cleaned up. Parts of it should be omitted by
5) We need big disclaimers discouraging users from using ath_info for
modifying EEPROM, in particular regdomain. The big disclaimers are yet
to be written. And I'm not sure they will be visible if ath_info is
distributed, compiled and installed with MadWifi. Making users download
ath_info will get their attention.