Gnome "Menu Bar" in panel background color

Help
Ryan Dunn
2009-09-04
2012-10-08
  • Ryan Dunn

Ryan Dunn - 2009-09-04

I cannot seem to get the panel to look correctly. In my setup before installing mac4lin, I had the top panel bar transparent (via the panel properties dialog). All icons, menubars, clock, etc. were transparent. I installed mac4lin, and the panel, clock are transparent, but the menubar (apps, places, system) has a gray background as well as the user/shutdown app (this is on ubuntu 9.04). I've also installed the theme on an rhel 5.3 box, and the same story; panel started out transparent, but menu bar is now a gray background. How do I get the panel to look correctly? I don't think I want to move to the global menu just yet.

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Ryan Dunn

Ryan Dunn - 2009-09-05

I tried commenting out the panel stuff in the gtkrc, but it didn't seem to matter what I did, I still couldn't get the panel to behave like I wanted. Another thing to note, if I leave the panel background as "None (use system theme)", there are two different colors of gray, one for the menubar, and another for the rest of the panel. Perhaps that could point you in the right direction? I after editing the gtkrc file, I would open the appearance applet and change to another theme, then back. Is there a command line way that I can reload the gtkrc file?

• Anirudh Acharya

Anirudh Acharya - 2009-09-05

You just need to comment out the widget and class lines under the panel group in gtkrc file. There is nothing else to be done. You just reapply the theme asyou said. It should work. Lemme check it out.

• Anirudh Acharya

Anirudh Acharya - 2009-09-04

This is one issue I'm working on. If you manually set the panel background then there is no problem in the transparency issue (as you indicated). However, in Mac4Lin I do it automatically by having code inthe gtkrc file and this is where everything plays nice accept the MenuBar. I'm looking into this and trying to figure out a solution. Meanwhile, you can instead use the Main Menu widget instead of Menubar. Alternatively if you are adventurous you can edit the gtkrc file yourself to remove all the panel-bg statements and manually set the pixmap yourself.

• Ryan Dunn

Ryan Dunn - 2009-09-13

Any luck with this?

When I get some more free time, I'll take a closer look at the gtkrc file.

• Anirudh Acharya

Anirudh Acharya - 2009-09-13

Do let me know if you need any help.

• liu fei

liu fei - 2009-09-21

yes. here its, we have a so big and same problem.I am ready to try to modify
    theme files. But how should I modify???

• Anirudh Acharya

Anirudh Acharya - 2009-09-21

As I said in my previous post, you need to edit the ~/.themes/<Mac4Lin GTK
    theme folder>/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file and find the 'panel' section. In the
    bottom of the section you will find the property 'panel' being assigned to
    various classes and widgets. You need to comment out these lines so that the
    background is not automatically applied to the panel.

You then need to re-apply the theme via Appearances and set the background
    manually.

All these issues just coz I tried to automate stuff to help everybody! Sigh..
    sometimes too much automation isn't good!

Btw, if you ditch the Menu Bar panel applet and instead use the Main Menu
    applet on you panel then you don't need to edit anything.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks