First of all thanks for your work and time you spend on this great project!
I installed the new RC yesterday and I have to complain about a few things...
the color of an active menu item, that darker blue does not fit into the rest of the theme, and I think it's not a very eye-friendly color.
You changed the size of the drop-down menus of the upper gnome panel (Applications-Places-System). It doesn't look too good on my Ubuntu. I also don't like the increased space at the seperators in this menu and in general the rounded up lower edge of drop-down menus. (I hope you can guess what I mean..)
The active tabs in for example the "Appearance Preferences" window are too dark and therefore a little bit difficult to read. I liked the old style in ver 0.4 much more.
The pidgin-theme: In my point of view, this is a step backwards. It now sticks pretty close to the original theme (which I dislike) which looks old fashioned and does not fit into a modern mac user interface. The only thing I like about it are the new protocol icons.
I think thats it from my point of view right now ;D
The updated Icon-pack is felicitous, thanks for that!
Please, don't get me wrong!
Thanks for the link, Tobi. That sure is helpful :)
I'll go thru your Qs one by one.
1) Since the goal of this project is bring the Mac OS X UI to POSIX OS', the changes haf been made to keep up the goal. Thats how it is in Mac OS X. However, if you don't like that you can change it to your liking. Just head to ~/.themes/<Mac4Lin v.0.4>/gtk-2.0/Menu-Menubar and copy all the files to the corresponding Mac4Lin v1.0 folder in ~/.themes.
2) Again, thats how it is in Mac OS X. You can do the above to get a similar effect and remove the round borders. Also head to ~/.themes/<Mac4Lin v.0.4>/gtk-2.0 folder and open the gtkrc file. Search for gtk-icons and copy over the line to the gtk-rc file in the corresponding Mac4Lin v1.0 folder. This way you will get your old setup back.
3) Aah.. I see. I will definitely look into it. But if you don't like the current tabs as again head to the Mac4Lin v.0.4 folder and copy the items that you like to the new location :) The beauty of OSS is that you can mod it however you like. If you need more help regarding this then feel free to ask.
4) Hmmm.. AFAIK the new things in pidgin are only the protocol and the dock icons!
Keep the comments flowing... it helps to make Mac4Lin a better package! :)
thanks for your quick answer! I think I'll have to take a closer look on the original Mac OSX again, I haven't seen it in some time...
As you suggested, I'm already using mac4lin 0.4 as the "control-theme" , the rest is okay ;D
Concerning Q 4) , are you sure?
In the package I downloaded many icons changed, for example in the animations, dialogs, emblems, status and toolbar folders... Maybe there an accidental fault in the RC package??
I also tried out the automatic installation with the Mac4lin....sh file. It said that it has been installed successfully, but when I selected the theme afterwards it didn-'t work, even after restarting Ubuntu... but to be honest, I'm a pretty Linux-noob, so maybe I've done something wrong...
Keep on working and spread the word ;D
Hi Anirudh, thank you for your work. I like the improvements of RC1.
I have a litle bug with the version RC1 when I use Ephiphany (Gnome web browser) for the scroolbar (i have a blue line each side of the scrollbar), there is a blue line in the space of the scrollbar in nautilus too (very small).
Some icons are not assigned like firefox (there are firefox.png and mozilla-firefox.png but not firefox-3.0.png for example). You have a beautiful icon of Messenger in ur icon pack but it's not linked to aMSN or emesene. Each person can change easily but...
For the point 3/ of Carrock86, I think u could keep this active tab but just change color character in a light grey (like MacOS X theme of Firefox 3 in the tabs of the window to add plugins and themes).
I have seen you have put in ur icon pack other icons for folders (like the mac ultimate icon pack). You don't prefer this icons ?
So, it was my modest point of you... Thank you again for your project and work.
point of view... sorry. Not possible to edit ?
1) Thanks for pointing out the Ephipnahy issue. I will look into this. Well the problem with the current scrollbar is that if I put in the Water/Aqua effect in it (as is the current state) then then issues are known. If I make them plain scrollbars then those issues are absent. Its a tradeoff between the advanced scrollbars and the small glitches in Firefox. If, however, you will use the upcoming Mac4Lin FF3 theme these issues will be absent. Actually these are the issues I and some volunteers are working on in the Mozilla theme.
2) I'm sorry, I overlooked this. I will fix this. Thanks for pointing it out :)
3) I wil see what I can. I'll prolly change the background as its not possible to change only the active tab text color.
4) Sorry, I didn't get you. You mean why am I not using the defaul Leopard folder icons?
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. More are welcome :)
Great, great work guys. Just the best OSX skin and the easist to apply of the many I have seen over the years since OSX came out. Your work IS appreciated by the community!
Next, congrats on getting ver. 1.0RC out of the door - I was checking almost daily for the new version!
Only ONE minor quibble:
The icon for the menu item "System > Shut Down..." is real ugly...any chance of a fix, even if it's the same as the 'System > Log out username" one.
I use GNOME 2.22.3, under Arch, FWIW.
Great Job again, Anirudh! You really do an awesome job!
Few things I like in the new theme is 1) folder tabs in nautilus in menu bar. the look more authentic now. 2) I also like improvements in the icon theme. 3) I like the new main menu bar. 4) I especially like the blue color of pull-down menus....instead of "slate" color of ver 0.4.
Some improvements that I think you can make are : 1) better firefox 3 theme. (can i get the ff3 theme you h ave posted in your screenshot pages) 2) Less gray.....I find the grey color in transmission and evolution to be too much. especially transmission. it looks so dull. if you apply any other theme there 2 color sets for transmission, but for mac4lin, its all grey. So, can you try to integrate a new lighter color of grey/white with the existing dark grey?
One other thing. Can you make a new theme with THIS COLOR? its slate-blue....take a look. I think it would look great.
<a href="http://imageshack.us"><img src="http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6900/newcolorsy8.png" border="0" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"/></a><br/>
thats all for now.
1) can you a bit more aqua - especially as pointed in the pic
<a href="http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makeitaquaxj1.png" target="_blank"><img src="http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/417/makeitaquaxj1.th.png" border="0" alt="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" /></a><br /><br /><a href="http://img604.imageshack.us/content.php?page=blogpost&files=img522/417/makeitaquaxj1.png" title="QuickPost"><img src="http://imageshack.us/img/butansn.png" alt="QuickPost" border="0"></a> Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
2) add another shade of less gray to transmission
Some changes that highly suggest you make....
1) offer semi-transparent gnome panel like in leopard. I like transparent panel better than a 'white' panel
2) offer a whitish-grey color along with of the main grey. This would make transmission, banshee, evolution much better instead of all grey,grey,grey. the color i m suggesting is the off-white color on this screenshot of leopard: http://ianr7golf.deviantart.com/art/Leopard-73287713 containing the mac computer info.
Seriously, I can't take so much grey
3) offer more aqua. For example, as I have already pointed out in my previous comment, in pull-down menus of nautilus, and folder categories tabs....take a look at http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makeitaquaxj1.png
That would be great!
Thanks for your awesome hard work.
Thanks to everyone for the comments :) I will surely consider these things.
Regarding the Transparent panel.. you can still achieve it! There's a neat trick to it. Rename the ~/.themes/<Mac4Lin GTK theme folder>/gtk-2.0/Panel/panel-bg.png.
Then right click on the Panel and select Properties. Now navigate to the same folder as above and set the panel-bg-trans.png as the Panel background and voila! you haf semi-transparent panel background as in Leopard!
About the transparent panel,
I am sorry, but it doesn't work.
I renamed the panel-bg.png to panel-bg-trans.png. I used that as the panel. But, the only change it made was make the background of the 'date, time' grey. the rest of the panel remained the same.
I also have gnome menu on the panel.
what did i do wrong? (how can simply changing the name of a panel make it look different?)
I guess you got confused! rename panel-bg.png to anything but not panel-bg-trans.png! Now right click on the top panel and select Properties. Goto Background and in the filename, navigate to the ~/.themes/<Mac4Lin Graphite GTK theme folder>/gtk-2.0/Panel. There select the file panel-bg-trans.png file as the background (it already exists there). Reapply the theme from Apperaances and you should haf a semi-transparent panel. I'm not sure if I've enabled this with the Aqua theme, but for graphite it works.
it worked! thanks for the panel...now, if u can just make it work in aqua...
one more request/wish. I like the graphite theme. But, what I would like even better is aqua scroll bars and pull-down aqua tabs...in graphite theme. cuz I like graphite theme, but the scroll-bars are too much the same color to be able to see.......
also, one major change you have to (must) make if u can is change pull-down menus of nautilus, and folder categories tabs....take a look at http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=makeitaquaxj1.png
That would be great!
The folder categories and the pull down menus (in nautilus) cannot be made Aqua due to some limitations. However, all the other pull down menus are Aqua enabled.
Great Work! Any clue as to when the 1.0 final will be released?
People are still sending their feedback for the RC. There are some minor issues to fix in the pack. The major work however is of the documentation and the Mozilla themes. Both are being done by some volunteers since I'm held up with my projects and assignments. So I really can't give a definite date but I'm hoping to fix each and every issue experienced by users in the current RC.
I have seen a litle thing again. When you select text in your web browser and you move the text, the cursor icon is the default cursor icon (not Mac4lin cursor icon). Moreover, in your desktop (or in Nautilus) when you want to move a folder or a file, you have again the default cursor icon (a white hand with a white arrow, the mac4lin cursor is a black arrow). Do you understand and have you seen that Anirudh ?
Oh, I was not aware of it. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll look into it! :)
I have installed mac$lin1.0Rc on Prsix (Debian Lenny) bur the contriols such as buttons, boxes, lines,scrollbars & etc are not changed and they have made the mac4lin an ugly theme!
what should i do?
You are probably missing the gtk-pixbuf engine. Installing that may solve your problem.
you said you couldn't make the Nautilus folder categories bar, and the nautilus pull-down menu aqua.
But, this theme "metal 0.6" on gnome-look have those as aqua. and they work in applications other than nautilus as well. Can you please try to make them aqua instead of "grey".
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aquaon0.png or [URL=http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aquaon0.png][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8941/aquaon0.th.png[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/IMG][/URL]
really appreciate your effort. please, do this for me.
It does look nice :) Gimme some time. I'll implement it in Mac4Lin. I can't change everything at once since one change would require a hundred changes in the gtkrc file.
Anirudh, there is another Leopard theme in gnome-look.org : 2a gekos-iTunes. There is aqua buttons in Nautilus and a light grey in some applications (Totem,Emesene, Pidgin, Rythmbox,Transmission). There are some good ideas... Graphite them of Mac4lin would be better with light grey (2nd color backgroud).
Log in to post a comment.