Menu

./configure support for Apple Silicon M1 chips (darwin-arm64)

2022-01-10
2022-01-12
  • Bjorn Stabell

Bjorn Stabell - 2022-01-10

Hi,

It's more than 2 years since 5.2.5 was released, and during this time there's a new architecture on the market! Currently the ./configure in 5.2.5 fails if run on the new Apple M1 Macs (darwin-arm64) and require patching config.sub - see https://github.com/addaleax/lzma-native/pull/123

Just re-running ./autogen.sh will create a working configure setup for M1 macs, but it requires a bigger build chain (with autoconf etc) that many people don't have.

Would you consider releasing patch release (5.2.6?) with just updated configure scripts - or is 5.3 close to release?

Thanks,
    Bjorn

• Jia Tan

Jia Tan - 2022-01-11

Hi!

Thanks for including the patch. The patch you linked modifies the config.sub file, which is generally against best practices. The config.sub file is maintained and released by autotools. Using CMake may solve your issue, but it is somewhat experimental on non Windows MSVC for liblzma. The next alpha release should happen in February and it will have some patches to CMake. I don't believe the next release will have the config.sub patch you are proposing, especially if you can use autogen or CMake as work-arounds.

• Bjorn Stabell

Bjorn Stabell - 2022-01-12

Thanks! Mostly liblzma-native relies on prebuilds for all platforms, so building from source, while a fallback, is almost an error condition. For this (fully automated) fallback I guess it makes sense to assume as little as possible about the build tools available, and autotools or cmake is a big ask vs just a C compiler. Prebuilds for darwin-arm64 have been made, so I guess liblzma-native is happy and can wait until the next official release of XZ Utils that includes updated autotools files.