Menu

ANN: LyricsFetcher removes API support

2009-10-17
2013-04-23
  • Phillip Piper

Phillip Piper - 2009-10-17

Several people have noticed that lyrics are no longer being fetched correctly. Instead of lyrics, people are getting a html document of some sort.

This problem stems from the LyricsWiki site. Previously, this was the best source of lyrics for LyricsFetcher. But in September, that site was threatened with legal action if they did not remove the ability to retireve lyrics programmatically. (You can )

I'm hoping to publish a patched version of LyricsFetcher next week which avoids this problem.

To fix the problem now, you need to edit the "LyricsFetcher.exe.config" file that is in the same directory as the application.

In that file, look for the "LyricsSources" section. By default, it looks like this:

<string>LyricWiki</string>
        <string>LyricsPlugin</string>
        <string>LyrDb</string>

If you take out the LyricsWiki line, it won’t search that source.

Regards,
    Phillip

: http://groups.google.com/group/lyricwiki-api/browse_thread/thread/733ccd919d654040

• TheSithLord

TheSithLord - 2009-10-21

Thanks, It would be nice to have this feature built in directly to LyricsFetcher as not all sources have accurate Lyrics than another source.

Also the MetaData function is really great but when you lookup several songs at once the "Lyric status" field is not updated while other times it is.

Also can you make it compatible with ID3v2.4 ?

• steve511844

steve511844 - 2009-10-21

hi there i've just applied this fix and it's now working fine for about 90-95% of my music (888 songs) but i'm getting 2 errors:

1. i'm getting this symbol � instead of an ' in my lyrics

2. for the 5-10% of the songs that the program can't find the lyrics for i'm getting lyrics added that looks like this:

error:101
    No such a entry in the database.

<!-f0c25b539901624b460e129d15264305->

[[Found by LyricsFetcher
    Source: Lyrdb
    Date: 2009-10-21 19:00:22]]

would it not be better to write nothing if none are found?

• Phillip Piper

Phillip Piper - 2009-10-27

I think v0.6.1 fixes both of these problems (error:101 and black diamonds). I'd be interested to hear from you if it does or not.

• DogRed9

DogRed9 - 2009-12-10

Let me start by saying this program rocks, but just so you know, the "�?T" are still being put into the lyrics of some songs.
    My only worry is that now that my 14000 song library already has these black diamonds, is there any way, once this is fixed, to only redownload those that need the fix?