Dependencies for lite installations

Help
2008-04-18
2013-04-11
  • Nathan Sims

Nathan Sims - 2008-04-18

I am experimenting to come up with the right balance of software to install on some low-end PC's. After discovering Look-XP, I decided to make it the default session for this project. The problem is that Loox-XP looks and behaves differently depending on what other packages were installed before it. If I install it on top of a full Ubuntu install or even Ubuntu-lite (ubuntulite.tuxfamily.org), everything works like it should.

However, to keep things lite as possible I have started with a 'command-line only' (sometimes called 'server') install of Ubuntu 7.10. I then 'sudo -s' to become 'root' and use aptitude to install xorg, gdm, firefox, and synaptic packages. (BTW: I know gdm isn't considered very light; but, I noticed that it goes to sleep and doesn't use any ram after you've logged in.)

Using firefox, I download the lxp-setup-0.2-1b.sh script. On run, I let it install imlib11 and libimlib2. I skip the icwem-menu-gnome2 option. It then retrieves fox_1.4.9-1 and the four lxp packages (0.2-1d, icewm, idesk, xfe). No problems with the installation.

I restart the machine and use gdm to choose LookXP from the list of sessions. I then log in as a non-root user.

I get the Start bar and grassy hills wallpaper of the LookXP-WXPBlue theme; but, some of the other things aren't working right:

1. No icons on desktop. I open a terminal and use 'gnome-system-monitor' to check all the processes. idesk isn't running. I run 'idesk' and the firefox, xfe, and xterm icons appear.

2. Both the cpu load and eth0 graphs are showing up on the right of the Start bar between the Volume and the Time.

3. The little round 'Hide/Show taskbar' button is missing from the far left of the Start bar.

4. The '1234 Workspace' buttons are showing up on the left instead of the right.

5. The 'Switch desktop' button is missing from the Start bar.

6. The 'Keyboard layout' button is missing from the Start bar.

7. Firefox doesn't show up on the Start bar or in the Start menu.

8. Xfe doesn't show up on the Start bar or in the Start menu.

9. The 'Window list menu' shows up on the Start bar.

10. The main part of the Start menu only shows xterm, Programs, Toolbar, Windows, Help, Settings, and Logout.

11. Items in the Start menu have to be clicked on instead of expanding when the mouse pointer is over them.

12. In the Start menu, no entries appear under Programs and the 'lxp-menu-generator' never seems to run.

13. Manually running the 'lxp-menu-generator' and/or using the 'update-menus' command from the menu package (as root or not) still doesn't add anything to the Start menu.

14. Can't change the Focus settings.

15. When I try changing the theme, lxp-icewm seems to restart (the Start bar disappears briefly); but the theme doesn't actually change and keeps the wallpaper and look of WXPBlue.

16. Not sure yet if its related; but, firefox will only run as root whether in lxp-icewm or Gnome. It will not run as a non-root user.

For some reason, LookXP's usual defaults are not being applied. My best guess is that it expects certain other software or files to be present that wouldn't normally be considered dependencies. I've uninstalled, added packagages like 'gnome-core', and reinstalled; but, haven't come up with the right combination yet. With the hundreds of package differences between Ubuntu full, lite, and command-line...it is going to take a while to figure this out. Any ideas?

• Myles Green

Myles Green - 2008-04-19

Hi,
      I'm a team member but not a programmer - not that that has anything to do with your problems - but I'll try to help you out here. Where you'll find the solutions depends on where you installed to; was it /usr or /usr/local? I'll use /usr in my explanations...

A lot can be solved by using the preferences and/or the prefoverride files. If you don't have a preferences file under ~/.lxp-icewm/ then you can copy it from /usr/share/lxp-icewm/ along with any other file or folder you deem necessary. The prefoverride file you will need to create IF you need one, it's normally used to override any settings you don't like (such as fonts, for example) in the theme you are using. The menu generator script relies on you having Gnome installed. You could create your own menu(s) by hand, the syntax is pretty simple using the default menu as a guide/starting point. I've explained a lot of different things already in the forums and on the mailing list so I urge you to go through and read them, it's not like there are thousands of messages to go through as there are somewhat less than 50 messages in total...

If you still have problems after that I'll be happy to assist you. One tip I will give out here and now is the program menumaker, which is also hosted here on SourceForge, will pick up most programs as long as they are installed under /usr (but not /usr/local) The idea being that it is a tool you use to (re)generate a menu once (or again if you install other new software). The Lxp menu generator tries to quickly build a new menu each and every time it is run, thus allowing a sysadmin to have less to worry about. Also, there are other, better things to use as your Desktop (wallpaper and Icons) such as ROX-Filer or Nautilus or Pcmanfm or Xfdesktop or even XFM (which was once part of Xfce back in the v3.x days).

OK, there you have it. Let me know if you still need assistance...

Best, Myles

--
      Keep your stick on the ice!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks